Low GPU and CPU usage

Feb 5, 2019
I recently built a new pc and the scores in benchmarks like 'Time Spy' are pretty decent (both GPU and CPU usage are over 90%). Though in games my fps are pretty low like my GPU and CPU usage.

Specs:
- 8GB Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 Nitro+
- 16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-2400
- MSI B450 TOMAHAWK AMD B450
- AMD Ryzen 5 2600
- 550 Watt Corsair CX Series CX550M Modular 80+ Bronze

Feb 5, 2019

In Destiny 2, my GPU usage is about 70 - 80% and the average fps are about 40 frames lower than tests on YouTube (Stock) (Full HD). Sadly I can't display my CPU usage at Destiny 2, because msi afterburner is blocking it. In CS:GO none of the CPU cores have an usage of more than 40% and the GPU usage is about 50% on average. My FPS are about 70 -100 fps lower compared with other vega 64 cards. My FPS stay the same even if I lower the graphic settings.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Well your slow ram is definitely going to hurt performance a bit but that seems too low in destiny.

Csgo would get same for with a 1050ti as your Vega 64 as it's entirely cpu dependent.

www.userbenchmark.com

Not the best benchmarking tool but will give me an idea where to look. Post the link it gives you at the end

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
First thing is to go into bios and enable xmp/a-xmp/docp whatever your motherboard calls it. Won't be a big boost but will help.

Next step is to monitor gpu temps while playing a game or something similar and check both temps and how high the core clock goes. I'm guessing it's not spinning up very fast.

Feb 5, 2019

Nerver really saw the gpu temps way above 60 C (Time Spy). The highest core clock was about 1600mhz in benchmarks. At 99% usage, the card has a powerconsumption of 270W (GPU-Fans 1500 rpm). It's a bit unusual.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
1600 is a tad low but shouldn't be low enough to put you 9th percentile in the benchmark run as many of them won't hold boost clocks anyway.

I would download either afterburner or wattman and try to undervolt the GPU bit and see if that helps

Feb 5, 2019
I just received my gpu a week ago. As far as I know, I have the opportunity to return it. I don't know if it makes sense to undervolt my vega, because I think it would be better to return it if it is performing that poorly.

Feb 5, 2019
Yeah, that could be possible. I experienced some problems in Time Spy. The GPU usage wasn't up to 99% the whole time. It dropped at some points and the powerconsumption was about 50 - 100 Watts. I also experienced Problems in Firestrike. GPU and CPU Tests went perfectly fine, but the graphics and physics test showed the same result as in games. Both CPU amd GPU usage were pretty low.

Feb 5, 2019
Yes. I used another calculator and it told me that my system draws 440 Watts (maximum). Okay, so I probably have to look for another PSU or for another GPU with a lower power consumption. Thanks for your help.