[SOLVED] Low GPU temp = Low FPS while gaming?

Jun 11, 2020
So, ive recently noticed in a game i play ( i dont recall this happening on other games, but id have to test this) my FPS will decrease as my GPU temperature drops. My CPU temperature mostly stays the same with minor spikes.

My gpu is 2080 super amp, cpu is ryzen 5 3600x, and my monitor is asus 1080p asus vg279qm 27'' monitor 240hz

Start of session:
GPU: 70C (temps rise and fluctuate minorly)
CPU: 60C
FPS: 117 (fluctuates between 130 to 80, normal for this game)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725981103139061793/755270054140182568/unknown.png

1hr 15m:
GPU: 78
CPU: 67
FPS: 97
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725981103139061793/755271586310914149/unknown.png

1hr 39m:
GPU: 74
CPU: 66
FPS: 94 (now it starts to stay around 90s - 80s)

1hr 56m:
GPU: 69 CPU: 71 FPS: 84

3hr 59m:
GPU: 53 CPU: 61 FPS: 37 (50 highest, 30 lowest)

My gpu temp is now 48C with 35 - 31 fps average while my CPU is 56 - 63C and this is about 5 hours in.

is this okay? why does the temp drop over time while playing this game? The CPU remains fairly consistent - but i noticed the correlation between my GPU temp and FPS. Relaunching this game resets this, and the fans kick in and it starts again at 75~ with 90 - 130 FPS until 2-ish hours where the decline begins.

Why is this? I do not recollect this happening with other games. The game is called Beasts of Bermuda. It is not a greatly optimized game. But, my laptop does not experience this issue. I am just curious to understand, and if any solution, what that may be?

Solution
MSI afterburner is good for monitoring the GPU side of things, but it does not contain any information about your CPU or RAM. Also, hwmonitor / open hardware monitor will tell you things about your GPU that MSI afterburner won't such as your highest recorded values for clock speeds and utilization.

I'm more of a hardware guy, and your hardware looks solid to me, so I don't think I'm able to help you very much. My best guess is that since it's an early access game, the developer is devoting more time to adding content than working out bugs and performing optimizations. It also entirely possible that Nvidia hasn't put in a whole lot of effort on their end to optimize their driver to cater to this game either. Those two combined might...
Your GPU and CPU temps are only useful measurements with regards to making sure they aren't thermal throttling. Trying to use low temperatures in order to track performance will not be useful.

I don't know why this is happening, but it is unlikely anyone will be able to help you based on the information you have provided.

Please list your full system specifications.

Also, instead of measuring temperature, keep track of GPU/CPU/VRAM/System RAM utilization as you play the games mentioned.

Jun 11, 2020
Your GPU and CPU temps are only useful measurements with regards to making sure they aren't thermal throttling. Trying to use low temperatures in order to track performance will not be useful.

I don't know why this is happening, but it is unlikely anyone will be able to help you based on the information you have provided.

Please list your full system specifications.

Also, instead of measuring temperature, keep track of GPU/CPU/VRAM/System RAM utilization as you play the games mentioned.

okay how can i enable this?
"keep track of GPU/CPU/VRAM/System RAM utilization "

Also what can I use to list my system specs?

Go to "all settings," "system," and "about" to find out how much system RAM you have.

Open you PC case and look at the side of your power supply to find out what model/wattage it is.

Download something like "HWmonitor" or "open hardware monitor" to find out what your hardware is doing when you play a game.

Jun 11, 2020
Go to "all settings," "system," and "about" to find out how much system RAM you have.

Open you PC case and look at the side of your power supply to find out what model/wattage it is.

Download something like "HWmonitor" or "open hardware monitor" to find out what your hardware is doing when you play a game.
I have 32GB of RAM

This is my PSU : https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-platinum-ssr-750px-750w/p/N82E16817151191?Item=N82E16817151191&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dCs8TW/seasonic-focus-plus-platinum-750w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-750px&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-nvwTpd3e.LX4DfpuCxacfA

here is a list of my build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2fK3vW

^ exclude the MONITOR and the PSU - I changed those; the display port cable too - everything else is correct

here is my monitor: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VG279QM-Compatible-DisplayHDR-DisplayPort/dp/B0845QFDVM

I built this PC back in.. may? or june

Also is MSI Afterburner not sufficient enough to monitor these temps as well as RAM and stuff?

Last edited:
MSI afterburner is good for monitoring the GPU side of things, but it does not contain any information about your CPU or RAM. Also, hwmonitor / open hardware monitor will tell you things about your GPU that MSI afterburner won't such as your highest recorded values for clock speeds and utilization.

I'm more of a hardware guy, and your hardware looks solid to me, so I don't think I'm able to help you very much. My best guess is that since it's an early access game, the developer is devoting more time to adding content than working out bugs and performing optimizations. It also entirely possible that Nvidia hasn't put in a whole lot of effort on their end to optimize their driver to cater to this game either. Those two combined might lead to the situation you have described where your performance degrades over time. Keep an eye on your CPU and GPU utilization next time you play in order to observe if there is some correlation.

Probably the best you can do right now until either Nvidia or the game developer fixes it is to restart the game when it happens. Annoying, but it doesn't seem like it can be helped.

Solution
Jun 11, 2020
The first thing to do is prove if this happens in others games. You could be chasing an issue you cannot resolve if it is only this one game. If only this game then I’d think it’s a problem with game and not the system.
okay, tomorrow I will test this on a separate game and see if the issue repeats with degraded performance over time!