Question Low GPU usage in some games, seemingly at random ?

May 15, 2022

Mobo: Z370 GAMING PLUS

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.00GHz

GPU: 3080 ZOTAC.

Ram: Corsair vengence 4000mhz

Hello there! I'm experiencing issues when it comes usage of the card in some games, and I've no idea why.

This seems completely at random, some games like warzone will use 95+% gpu with absolutely no issue at all, no frame drops ect. Then other games will simply not use more than 50% of the gpu. (Fortnite for example.) Thirdly, some games will use 90%+ (New evil dead) but suffer severe stuttering when the GPU usage drops below 50% for a few seconds mid-game.

Things I've tried;
DDU uninstall and install new drivers.
Fresh windows install.
Power mode.
Reinstalled games.
Changed between my drives.
Temporary Windows user account
Control panel changes
Clean boot of Windows.
Trying it on a friend's pc (Same exact issue with the card)
Different monitor (same issue)
Checked cooling.
Changed Cpu.
Changed ram.
Vsync off.
Capping the framerate at various caps.

I've ran through about every single support step on the games too, emailing their support and to no avail.
I've also emailed Nvidia support and took part in a long email chain with them where I tried many things but nothing worked.
They say because the card works in some games that It can't be an issue with the card.
The repair shop guy said that he's never seen an issue like this before but says that it could be potentially the cryptomining thing triggering on certain games fnr, but he isn't sure.
Any help is appreciated.

Please don't say it's a cpu bottleneck because it 1000% isn't and it's frustrating to hear this again and again.

D

Deleted member 362816

I am in the same boat as you with a rx 6800, Never had issues like this before in my life. I will say though that the 3060ti I had before this did not have these issues. Seems like many people across the web having similar issues with the newer nvidia drivers. Maybe locate a few month old drive and see if it increases gpu usage in any of your other games.

May 15, 2022
I am in the same boat as you with a rx 6800, Never had issues like this before in my life. I will say though that the 3060ti I had before this did not have these issues. Seems like many people across the web having similar issues with the newer nvidia drivers. Maybe locate a few month old drive and see if it increases gpu usage in any of your other games.

It made it worse. 😅

I'm starting to think that the card itself is defective. I've never had the issue on any other cards so I'm incredibly confused.

D

Deleted member 362816

It made it worse. 😅

I'm starting to think that the card itself is defective. I've never had the issue on any other cards so I'm incredibly confused.

Not the same card but same issues on my rx 6800 as stated above, I replaced the card also - did not change my issues. I pretty much just gave up lol

May 15, 2022
Not the same card but same issues on my rx 6800 as stated above, I replaced the card also - did not change my issues. I pretty much just gave up lol
Everything in my pc is new other than the Mobo. I've been having various issues surrounding it like my cpu pump not working at seemingly random so I'm going to be replacing it. Did you change/replace your mobo during that period?

D

Deleted member 362816

Everything in my pc is new other than the Mobo. I've been having various issues surrounding it like my cpu pump not working at seemingly random so I'm going to be replacing it. Did you change/replace your mobo during that period?

No but I just ordered a new one now. I should have it middle of next week, In the same boat everything has been replaced except the motherboard. Going from h570i to z590i I will update once completed.

D

Deleted member 362816

'course mate. It's just arriving late now, was meant to come wednesday but due to postage delays it's coming saturday. Earliest I'll have it all together is sunday.

Interestingly enough it did more or less fix my issues everything is 89+% usage good enough for me.

Mar 16, 2022
Please elaborate. I don't think a 9900k at 5ghz is going to bottleneck a RTX 3080.
Your mind likes high numbers, not the truth.

It's ok you don't have to accept the truth, you can remain delusional, I will remind you that 2600k's could hit 5ghz too, those chips bottleneck also.

We see thread after thread on here with people owning an 8700k or 9900k with the exact same problems, but no acceptance of the real situation.. the bottleneck.

Just to remind you all, your 9900k has IPC similar to AMD's Ryzen 2700X, it's markedly not much faster unless overclocked to 5ghz where it gains a bit, this is still not enough to overcome the bottleneck with an RTX 3080.

Here is my 5800X and 3070 destroying your 9900K in all games.

We also get stupid posts like this from USAFRet who says it is not a bottleneck but then defines what a bottleneck is confirming it is a bottleneck whilst trying to allude you all to think it is not a bottleneck.

Weird mental gymnastics.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

It's ok you don't have to accept the truth, you can remain delusional, I will remind you that 2600k's could hit 5ghz too, those chips bottleneck also.

We see thread after thread on here with people owning an 8700k or 9900k with the exact same problems, but no acceptance of the real situation.. the bottleneck.

Just to remind you all, your 9900k has IPC similar to AMD's Ryzen 2700X, it's markedly not much faster unless overclocked to 5ghz where it gains a bit, this is still not enough to overcome the bottleneck with an RTX 3080.

We also get stupid posts like this from USAFRet who says it is not a bottleneck but then defines what a bottleneck is confirming it is a bottleneck whilst trying to allude you all to think it is not a bottleneck.

Weird mental gymnastics.
[/QUOTE

Weird mental gymnastics.

Once again you didn't provide any proof only your "opinion" I am willing to accept the truth if you can prove it.

We have a 9900K at 5.1GHZ with a rtx 3090 and we do not suffer from any of these issues @1440P. I mean don't get me wrong not every game is at 99% GPU usage but it never falls below 90% in newer games. Last time I checked a 3090 is more powerful then a 3080.

Mar 16, 2022
Once again you didn't provide any proof only your "opinion" I am willing to accept the truth if you can prove it.

We have a 9900K at 5.1GHZ with a rtx 3090 and we do not suffer from any of these issues @1440P. I mean don't get me wrong not every game is at 99% GPU usage but it never falls below 90% in newer games. Last time I checked a 3090 is more powerful then a 3080.

How about instead of me going to lengths trying to prove my point because I am sticking to my point as truth because that is all I can do, I don't own the hardware.

Perhaps you can go through all of the recent 9900k, 9700k, 8700 and 8700k issues with RTX 3000 series GPU's and come back and tell me there is no bottleneck issue.

And the one example I shall give because I did test my system practically not theoretically against a person who was having issues, the difference was way way larger than the difference between the 3060 Ti and base RTX 3070, the bottleneck from their CPU was that big.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...i-after-upgrading-gpu-only.3754452/?view=date

D

Deleted member 362816

How about instead of me going to lengths trying to prove my point because I am sticking to my point as truth because that is all I can do, I don't own the hardware.

Perhaps you can go through all of the recent 9900k, 9700k, 8700 and 8700k issues with RTX 3000 series GPU's and come back and tell me there is no bottleneck issue.

And the one example I shall give because I did test my system practically not theoretically against a person who was having issues, the difference was way way larger than the difference between the 3060 Ti and base RTX 3070, the bottleneck from their CPU was that big.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...i-after-upgrading-gpu-only.3754452/?view=date

I'm just not seeing it. Over 80% of the games are 95%+ utilization.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXNn-6ZCnw&t=642s&ab_channel=SuperSkuki