Question Low GPU usage / Rtx 2060 i5 8400

Feb 13, 2023
There's my config
I5 8400
Rtx 2060 MSI 12vram Oc
550watt
H310 m-h
8ram ddr4 2400 MHz
With new windows 10 installed and the all components temp are good playing on 60 hz 1080p

Tried couple of games rd2 was running perfectly good with 60 50 fps on high settings on 1080 , GPU usage was 98 % and CPU around 80 , while in total Warhammer 2 client don't goes over 30 frames and drops to 1 fps , in game fps don't reach 60 fps with medium ...
Also, overwatch GPU don't go high in usage unlike CPU that go between 60 to 90 usage
Any solutions guys ?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Memory bandwidth + cpu primary thread limited.
The gpu can't go any faster, since its 'turn' is always after the cpu+ram(they work together).

Solution: Don't run one stick of ram. Buy a new 2x 8GB kit(recommended), or take a gamble with adding another to the one you already have(not recommended).
The problem with the latter is that there's no guarantee they'll work correctly until they're in your PC and running; you have to do the manufacturer's job of testing and certifying stability.
If it works, great! If it doesn't, you lost time and money.

Look at each core usage; whole cpu usage doesn't help very much unless it's almost maxed out.

Reactions: GarrettL
I'm afraid that no matter what you do, that 8th-gen Intel CPU will bottleneck the RTX 2060. I know this because a 10th-gen i9-10900K will bottleneck an RX 6600. Right now, there are amazing deals on AM4 platforms. You could get a CPU, a motherboard and another 8GB of RAM for really cheap. I don't know where you are but in Europe you'd be looking at:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - €145
MOBO: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 - €100
RAM: G.Skill Value 8 GB DDR4-2400 - €24

That will bring your GPU usage up because it'll no longer be bottlenecked by that i5-8400 any more. You'll see an instant FPS boost and you can be sure that you'll be able to upgrade your card and get all of its performance. Even if you were to upgrade to an RTX 4090, your FPS rate would be no faster than it is now. This will give you a modern gaming CPU and the extra stick of DDR4-2400 will give you full dual-channel performance. Not bad for under €200, eh? ;)

NOTE: For unknown European countries I just use Germany because it's less expensive than most other countries in the EU and it's right in the middle so most people can access it by train or by automobile.