Question Low gpu usage

Sep 29, 2022
Im have problems with my gpu.
I have a rtx 3070 ti and ryzen 7 3800x
My gpu has low gpu usage in games
When i play fortnite i get 30% usage on low settings and when i play on ultra it gets to 85% but the fps stays the same for some reason and my fps is not capped but it feels like it
And its defenitely not ingame settings
Can someone pla help ive had this problem for a year

Im have problems with my gpu.
I have a rtx 3070 ti and ryzen 7 3800x
My gpu has low gpu usage in games
When i play fortnite i get 30% usage on low settings and when i play on ultra it gets to 85% but the fps stays the same for some reason and my fps is not capped but it feels like it
And its defenitely not ingame settings
Can someone pla help ive had this problem for a year

That is a CPU bottleneck - the lower the GPU settings the more apparent it will be.

The R7 3800X is a reasonably fast CPU and should be fast enough to feed a 3070ti is graphically demanding AAA games no problem. However if you are looking at very high FPS e-sports type games with low graphics demands (and you are using a very fast GPU like the 3070ti) then the CPU will become the limit.

Things you can do to improve this:
  • Turn on 'PBO' in the bios, this will boost the performance of the cpu a bit, just make sure you have decent cooling (either a good tower air cooler or AIO liquid cooler on the CPU and case fans to make sure warm air is removed from the case). It might also be worth installing the free 'HWMonitor' tool and keeping an eye on CPU temps whilst gaming - if the CPU is getting too warm that might cause thermal throttling with would hold back FPS.
  • Look at memory timings / speed - if you are running with a slow memory kit this will hold back the CPU performance quite abit. The sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 cpu's is something like DDR4 3200 with tight CL timings, or possible faster kits like DDR4 3600.
  • If your cpu temps are good, PBO running and you already have a fast memory kit then look at upgrading your cpu - pretty much all decent AM4 motherboards can be updated to support Ryzen 5000 cpu's which are quite a bit faster for e-sports games than 3000. Something like an R5 5600X or R7 5700X should give you a nice bump in performance and would be a drop in upgrade. Again Ryzen 5000 cpu's need good memory and cooling to get the best out of them.

It would be useful to know the rest of your system specs to comment further, specifically Make / model of motherboard, ram specs (speed, timings and number of modules) also Power Supply make / model.

The other thing you could do to get an idea if there is a problem with the machine or if it's just a hardware limit would be to run a benchmark to compare to other systems. I recommend installing the free 3D Mark Time spy demo on Steam - that will give your machine a set of scores and a comparison to similar systems. It should highlight if anything is performing a long way from where you would expect.

Sep 29, 2022
That is a CPU bottleneck - the lower the GPU settings the more apparent it will be.

The R7 3800X is a reasonably fast CPU and should be fast enough to feed a 3070ti is graphically demanding AAA games no problem. However if you are looking at very high FPS e-sports type games with low graphics demands (and you are using a very fast GPU like the 3070ti) then the CPU will become the limit.

• Turn on 'PBO' in the bios, this will boost the performance of the cpu a bit, just make sure you have decent cooling (either a good tower air cooler or AIO liquid cooler on the CPU and case fans to make sure warm air is removed from the case). It might also be worth installing the free 'HWMonitor' tool and keeping an eye on CPU temps whilst gaming - if the CPU is getting too warm that might cause thermal throttling with would hold back FPS.
  • Look at memory timings / speed - if you are running with a slow memory kit this will hold back the CPU performance quite abit. The sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 cpu's is something like DDR4 3200 with tight CL timings, or possible faster kits like DDR4 3600.
  • If your cpu temps are good, PBO running and you already have a fast memory kit then look at upgrading your cpu - pretty much all decent AM4 motherboards can be updated to support Ryzen 5000 cpu's which are quite a bit faster for e-sports games than 3000. Something like an R5 5600X or R7 5700X should give you a nice bump in performance and would be a drop in upgrade. Again Ryzen 5000 cpu's need good memory and cooling to get the best out of them.
It would be useful to know the rest of your system specs to comment further, specifically Make / model of motherboard, ram specs (speed, timings and number of modules) also Power Supply make / model.

The other thing you could do to get an idea if there is a problem with the machine or if it's just a hardware limit would be to run a benchmark to compare to other systems. I recommend installing the free 3D Mark Time spy demo on Steam - that will give your machine a set of scores and a comparison to similar systems. It should highlight if anything is performing a long way from where you would expect.
But the thing is i had the same issue with a rtx 2070 super i upgraded yesterday hoping it would fix it but it didnt
My friend has a rtx 2070 super with the same cpu and same other specs and has no problems

Sep 29, 2022

And i have 750watts and b450 adus rog strix and h 115i from corsair

Sep 29, 2022
Not really a surprise then. The 3070Ti is very powerful for 1080p and Fortnite is not a gpu demanding game. As cdrkf has pointed out the fps limit be set by the CPU/RAM in that game at 1080p long before the gpu is fully utilised.
But its still not normal to get 30%
On minecraft i get 180 fps and thats really bad for an rtx 3070ti

And i have 750watts and b450 adus rog strix and h 115i from corsair

It would be useful to know your ram config also - are you using 1 , 2 or 4 sticks of ram (ideally you should be using at least 2 for dual channel, a single module will slow things down quite a bit). Also the speed is important...

To give you an idea of how different CPU's impact gaming performance, take a look at this recent review for the new Ryzen 5 7600X:

Whilst they don't have a graph for Fortnite, they do show CS:GO at 1080p low settings (with a 3090ti) about halfway down the page.
(link to CS:GO chart: https://www.techspot.com/photos/article/2534-amd-ryzen-7600x/#CSGO)

Whilst the numbers will be different the scaling should be similar - the 3700X listed in the chart performs pretty much the same as the 3800X. Note that the newer 5800X is ~ 40% faster, whilst the latest 7600X offers an 80% boost.

In your case I think the 2070 Super was already faster than the CPU which is why upgrading to the 3070 ti hasn't made the game run any faster.

Edit: Also what FPS are you actually getting in Fortnite?

Edit 2: Here is an example of a similar setup - 3700X + RTX 3070. GPU load is ~ 40% with about 200 FPS when playing competitive settings at 1080p.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn95gamFWls

Sep 29, 2022
It would be useful to know your ram config also - are you using 1 , 2 or 4 sticks of ram (ideally you should be using at least 2 for dual channel, a single module will slow things down quite a bit). Also the speed is important...

To give you an idea of how different CPU's impact gaming performance, take a look at this recent review for the new Ryzen 5 7600X:

Whilst they don't have a graph for Fortnite, they do show CS:GO at 1080p low settings (with a 3090ti) about halfway down the page.
(link to CS:GO chart: https://www.techspot.com/photos/article/2534-amd-ryzen-7600x/#CSGO)

Whilst the numbers will be different the scaling should be similar - the 3700X listed in the chart performs pretty much the same as the 3800X. Note that the newer 5800X is ~ 40% faster, whilst the latest 7600X offers an 80% boost.

In your case I think the 2070 Super was already faster than the CPU which is why upgrading to the 3070 ti hasn't made the game run any faster.

Edit: Also what FPS are you actually getting in Fortnite?

Edit 2: Here is an example of a similar setup - 3700X + RTX 3070. GPU load is ~ 40% with about 200 FPS when playing competitive settings at 1080p.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn95gamFWls
With performance mode and low settings with far distance i get like 200 fps but when i increase the settings and use directx 11 or 12 i get the same fps but it has many frame drops than for some reason but than the gpu usage rises to like 60 i think still nowhere near 100%

With performance mode and low settings with far distance i get like 200 fps but when i increase the settings and use directx 11 or 12 i get the same fps but it has many frame drops than for some reason but than the gpu usage rises to like 60 i think still nowhere near 100%
If your goal is to have higher performance in terms of FPS, then the CPU needs to be upgraded here. The GPU utilization isn't 100% because the CPU isn't feeding it with enough stuff to do all the time.

If you simply want to get your GPU utilization to 100% at this point, then you have to do "silly" things like enable DSR so you can have the game render at like 4K internally.

Sep 29, 2022
If your goal is to have higher performance in terms of FPS, then the CPU needs to be upgraded here. The GPU utilization isn't 100% because the CPU isn't feeding it with enough stuff to do all the time.

If you simply want to get your GPU utilization to 100% at this point, then you have to do "silly" things like enable DSR so you can have the game render at like 4K internally.
But it isnt normal that its at 30% even if its bottleneck because r7 3800x is really good in terms of performance

But it isnt normal that its at 30% even if its bottleneck because r7 3800x is really good in terms of performance
Games do not fully utilize a modern 8C/16T CPU yet. Especially with game that have lower requirements to run, such as Fortnite. And in some cases, the game may shove all of the stuff that handles video card communication onto one thread, so single core performance is much more important.