Question Low, inconsistent fps for 3070 ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ColinHerum

Prominent
Oct 24, 2021
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI B550-A Pro ATX AM4

Ram: 32.0 GB (2x16)

SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1TB
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB

GPU: RTX 3070 ti FE

PSU: EVGA G1+ 1000w 80+ gold

I don't understand why but for some reason for some games I get very low inconsistent fps. Sometimes they're 120 fps, usually they're 70 fps, and then sometimes they drop to 5 fps. My 1070 got more consistent frames than this, what is happening? How can I stop it from happening? Yes my drivers are up to date (and yes I have also checked previous driver updates, still have the same problem). I have not seen my computer go past 70 degrees c and usually sticks to about 60.

turtle_x

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
ok I have it in the first slot now and it works, but I'm still getting the same frame rate issues
Just to be clear, you had your graphics card in a x4 slot and were having performance issues. You moved the card to the first slot but still are having the same performance issues? Having your card in a x4 slot instead of a x16 will usually show a noticeable decrease in performance. That problem has been solved because you switched it back, right? So are you having the same exact issues still? To be frank, this is similar to you finding out that your car was completely out of gas. You respond with "Okay sure, I went ahead and put gas in it, but it still won't start." I'm just confused. Maybe, there are multiple issues because I would've thought having it in the correct slot should've been a slam dunk fix to the problem. Did you notice any benefit from having it in the correct slot?

Edit: I just noticed that you have not posted back in a week. If your problem is fixed and this forum has been of help in any way. let them know so they can close the case on your issue. No need to be embarrassed or proud. It was a simple mistake that anybody could've done. Give thanks to those that helped you out. They do this not for money but for the satisfaction of helping others.

Last edited: