Question Low multicore scores with a 7600

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CfHsGL

I’ve noticed that my multiscore CPU benchmarks are almost always lower than other people’s benchmarks. They’re lower even though most benchmarks are using stock settings and I’m using a PBO. I don’t think it’s overheating; the maximum temperature I’ve seen was 91 degrees Celsius, and I’ve changed my fan curve since then to make those temps lower. My single core scores generally seem fine though. I can’t really trust leaderboards since most of those people are overclocking their CPUs beyond 5.1GHz and I’m just enabling PBO, though I look at 7600es with clock speeds close to mine.

Benchmarks:
7zip Compression - 92.077 GIPS (other people were getting scores in the 95-105 GIPS range)

7zip Decompression - 96.142 GIPS (other people were getting scores in the 100-110 GIPS range)

Cinebench R23 - Multicore: 14150-14200 (people are getting scores in the 14400-14800 range)

Singlecore: 1850-1900 (this seems about right)

Cinebench R15: 2310 cb (this is closer but people were getting slightly higher scores)

I benchmarked a few games at 720p and 1080p as well. My FPSes were slightly higher than other people’s for most games except Battlefield V for some reason though that’s probably because my GPU is more powerful than theirs.

I also ran the following benchmarks: Cinebench R20, Jetstream 2, WebXPRT4, Blender 3.4.0, KeyShot Viewer, Corona, Speedometer 2, Nero AI Photo Tagger, Dolphin benchmark, CPU-Z, 3DMark (CPU scores), SuperPI, Y-Cruncher, Geekbench 5, Geekbench 2.3.1, the AIDA64 CPU, encryption, and memory benchmarks, and more. My scores are consistently marginally worse; even if they’re the same, it’s odd they’re the same seeing as though most of these are at stock settings while mine has PBO. I’ll try to revert to stock settings to see the real difference between these stock scores.

How large does the difference have to be for it to be a sign of a faulty CPU? I may have damaged the heatsink by dropping my cooler on it, but it doesn’t look damaged and my temps seem fine. They never exceed 95 anyway which is apparently the temp Zen 4 chips try to reach. Is that true for the non-X versions as well since this is only 65W (probably more while in PBO)?

Hey there,

So your system is quite modern and a great gamer :) Nice.

On the low multi scores, I'd suggest setting up PBO/CO to start with to increase the scores. Or use something like CTR 2.1/Project Hydra to boost the scores.

However, don't get hung up on synthetic benches. You will end up chasing your tail like your pet dog to get higher scores.

Both AMD/Intel, pretty much get max performance from this gen CPU's, so tweaking is the way to go for any increases.

You don't know what settings the others are using.

Sit back, fire up a game and enjoy the system. Worry about chasing synth scores when you really need it. Right now, you don't need it.

Reactions: Minutoh

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
Hey there,

So your system is quite modern and a great gamer :) Nice.

On the low multi scores, I'd suggest setting up PBO/CO to start with to increase the scores. Or use something like CTR 2.1/Project Hydra to boost the scores.

However, don't get hung up on synthetic benches. You will end up chasing your tail like your pet dog to get higher scores.

Both AMD/Intel, pretty much get max performance from this gen CPU's, so tweaking is the way to go for any increases.

You don't know what settings the others are using.

Sit back, fire up a game and enjoy the system. Worry about chasing synth scores when you really need it. Right now, you don't need it.

it’s good to hear that this is a great system. I was wondering if this is a good build. I set PBO to Enabled instead of Auto in my BIOS. What is CO though? I’ll download CTR2.1/Project Hydra then.

and that makes sense. So synthetic benchmarks don’t really matter that much. When do they start mattering? Is it if I actually need to do rendering or compression or whatever the benchmarks are testing? And that’s true, there’s differences in our settings, our systems, and our BIOS and all for sure. Thanks! I’ll worry just about game performance for now then.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
it’s good to hear that this is a great system. I was wondering if this is a good build. I set PBO to Enabled instead of Auto in my BIOS. What is CO though? I’ll download CTR2.1/Project Hydra then.

and that makes sense. So synthetic benchmarks don’t really matter that much. When do they start mattering? Is it if I actually need to do rendering or compression or whatever the benchmarks are testing? And that’s true, there’s differences in our settings, our systems, and our BIOS and all for sure. Thanks! I’ll worry just about game performance for now then.

CO = Curve Optimizer. It's used to make a voltage/frequency curve. This may help explain: faq-curve-optimizer.pdf (amd.com)

So for gaming, it's even more difficult to gauge, because you have such a strong GPU v what most people use :) With that said, your CPU is perfectly capable of driving any high end GPU pushing serious FPS.

I think you should just play a few games see how it feels. If it feels good and smooth, then really you have nothing to worry about in terms of gaming. You should be able to max out nearly all games at 4k @60FPS, so if you're on a different monitor, your CPU/GPU combo should stomp all over nearly all games.

CTR 2.1, Project Hydra are automated programs made by 1usmus (AKA Yuri Bubliy) He writes a lot of programs for Ryzen procs and knows his stuff. I'd try Hydra first as CTR is really meant for Ryzen 3xxx/5xxx series.

Synthetic benches don't matter, as long as the programs they are testing aren't relevant for you. If you have a working PC (that you earn a living from), then that might be a different conversation.

To summarise, you've a monster gaming system. You could argue that a 7800/7900/7950/x/X3d give you more cores, which can help in some apps. But if you don't need more than 6c/12t, then you don't have to worry about anything. Just enjoy :)

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
CO = Curve Optimizer. It's used to make a voltage/frequency curve. This may help explain: faq-curve-optimizer.pdf (amd.com)

So for gaming, it's even more difficult to gauge, because you have such a strong GPU v what most people use :) With that said, your CPU is perfectly capable of driving any high end GPU pushing serious FPS.

I think you should just play a few games see how it feels. If it feels good and smooth, then really you have nothing to worry about in terms of gaming. You should be able to max out nearly all games at 4k @60FPS, so if you're on a different monitor, your CPU/GPU combo should stomp all over nearly all games.

CTR 2.1, Project Hydra are automated programs made by 1usmus (AKA Yuri Bubliy) He writes a lot of programs for Ryzen procs and knows his stuff. I'd try Hydra first as CTR is really meant for Ryzen 3xxx/5xxx series.

Synthetic benches don't matter, as long as the programs they are testing aren't relevant for you. If you have a working PC (that you earn a living from), then that might be a different conversation.

To summarise, you've a monster gaming system. You could argue that a 7800/7900/7950/x/X3d give you more cores, which can help in some apps. But if you don't need more than 6c/12t, then you don't have to worry about anything. Just enjoy :)

Oh okay thanks! CO will definitely be useful to make my OC better. That’s true, so that makes it difficult to compare game performance. It’s good that a 7600 is strong enough to not be a bottleneck.

i did try out a lot of games for these benchmarks and for GPU benchmarks, and they mostly feel very smooth… well, there were problems at first, so I had to make a lot of software optimizations to get it to stop stuttering like changing BIOS settings and disabling ULPS in MSI Afterburner. It’s very smooth now except in open-world games, battle royale games, or games with a large map in general. I think some stuttering is expected when you load in a new area, but my 1% and 0.1% are typically quite a bit lower in these kinds of games even with a PCIE 4.0 SSD; they’re all as expected in most other games though. Im definitely going for 4K60FPS or 1440p144Hz (with RSR to upscale to 4K), so it’s good that this build handles that very well.

I will definitely try Porject Hydra then. That sounds like an easy way to improve my CPU’s performance. And I see, synthetic benches don’t matter much to me then. I might dabble in some coding, game creation, and video rendering/editing/recording/streaming so I guess those synthetic benchmarks kind of matter to me. My job does involve coding, but they provide work laptops and I’m not allowed to work from anything else.

still, realistically, I say that I want to do all that now, but I’ll probably barely do that lol. Maybe very light streaming and video editing but that’s about it. Games and general browsing tasks will definitely be my main focus.