[SOLVED] Low Pcie slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2019
Hello,

do you guys know if there is a List\Category or any way of filtering\searching of Mainboards which have the first PCIE lower than usual?

I plan on buying the Noctua NHD15s cpu cooler AND mounting my GPU vertically with exactly this Kit :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIyIES3lsxY

As you can see in the video at 8:15 bigger gpu cards will be higher than the first pcie slot and the Noctua is also a big cooler.(even if the S- model has a bit better compatibility).
I also can't mount the vertical bracket too low because the riser cable wont be long enough to reach the pcie slot.
I don't want any compatibility problems when I buy all the components so the only solution is a mobo with LOW pcie slot.

My case is the Obsidian 750D airflow.
I haven't bought the Gpu yet but it's probably going to be the 3080 or 3080ti and definitely a custom model which is surely going to be at least as big as in Jayz's video.

Solution
This does not exist. PCIe slots, ports, etc all align with certain points as per the ATX standard. Boards are not designed around using an adapter such as you are using. The board would be useless as the PCIe slot would never align properly with a normal case. Way too niche to ever be created.

You're planning for a GPU that won't exist until at least July?
Hello,

do you guys know if there is a List\Category or any way of filtering\searching of Mainboards which have the first PCIE lower than usual?

I plan on buying the Noctua NHD15s cpu cooler AND mounting my GPU vertically with exactly this Kit :

As you can see in the video...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

This does not exist. PCIe slots, ports, etc all align with certain points as per the ATX standard. Boards are not designed around using an adapter such as you are using. The board would be useless as the PCIe slot would never align properly with a normal case. Way too niche to ever be created.

I haven't bought the Gpu yet but it's probably going to be the 3080 or 3080ti and definitely a custom model which is surely going to be at least as big as in Jayz's video

Reactions: techNewUsername

Hello,

As you can see in the video at 8:15 bigger gpu cards will be higher than the first pcie slot and the Noctua is also a big cooler.(even if the S- model has a bit better compatibility).
I also can't mount the vertical bracket too low because the riser cable wont be long enough to reach the pcie slot.
I don't want any compatibility problems when I buy all the components so the only solution is a mobo with LOW pcie slot.

My case is the Obsidian 750D airflow.
I haven't bought the Gpu yet but it's probably going to be the 3080 or 3080ti and definitely a custom model which is surely going to be at least as big as in Jayz's video.
Motherboards have a standard layout with the PCIe slots located in a fixed relationship to the board mounting standoffs so that they align with the slot openings in cases. It's rare in modern motherboards that all slot positions have an actual connector installed but when it is installed it has to be in a standard position to fit the case.

What I think you mean is you want only boards where the GPU PCIe slot, which would be PCIe x 16 and tied directly to the CPU, is located at the 2nd slot position from the CPU and not the first. I don't know if any web site offers that detail but if you look at boards where the NVME M.2 slot is above the GPU (between the GPU and CPU) I think that may help in your search.

But one other thing to know: the ATX standard doesn't really lock down the CPU socket in a fixed location so that can vary quite a bit. And CPU mfr's specify the no-intrusion zones around the CPU along with the socket specification. That means that even though you get a board with GPU socket in 2nd position the CPU could have been lowered on the board too, therefor the clearance to a heatsink would be the same.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 22, 2019

yes, I have started researching a few months ago, already bought the case (obsidian 750d )and the psu (corsair hx1000), all the case fans, rgb strips and this month will buy storage or ram (I plan buying a component a month until summer with gpu indeed probably the last component since intel 10.gen will come April).Yes this is a PURE gaming machine. No editing\streaming or anything else. Until July I will keep using my gtx 1070 and 4790k since they work fine.
Thank you for your reply!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019
What is the make and model for your processor. Something tells me that you're not going to need a Noctua cooler of that size. In fact I'd suggest you move for an AIO and help keep things as simple as possible.
my cpu will be the 10900k ..so 10 cores at 5 ghz 14 nm will definetly need good cooling but I dont trust water in my pc (also pump failure etc)

Oct 22, 2019
Motherboards have a standard layout with the PCIe slots located in a fixed relationship to the board mounting standoffs so that they align with the slot openings in cases. It's rare in modern motherboards that all slot positions have an actual connector installed but when it is installed it has to be in a standard position to fit the case.

What I think you mean is you want only boards where the GPU PCIe slot, which would be PCIe x 16 and tied directly to the CPU, is located at the 2nd slot position from the CPU and not the first. I don't know if any web site offers that detail but if you look at boards where the NVME M.2 slot is above the GPU (between the GPU and CPU) I think that may help in your search.

But one other thing to know: the ATX standard doesn't really lock down the CPU socket in a fixed location so that can vary quite a bit. And CPU mfr's specify the no-intrusion zones around the CPU along with the socket specification. That means that even though you get a board with GPU socket in 2nd position the CPU could have been lowered on the board too, therefor the clearance to a heatsink would be the same.
you were not the first to respond but you have given me the best idea so far ( search for mobos with 2nd 16x slot .. i hope such things exist!) ,so you get the solution award!

my cpu will be the 10900k ..so 10 cores at 5 ghz 14 nm will definetly need good cooling but I dont trust water in my pc (also pump failure etc)
Nobody knows that one just yet... you might need a custom closed loop with a giant waterblock to remove heat from it adequately. Anything lesser and it will just throttle it's way through rendering jobs. This thing really sounds like Intel's FX 9590 product.

But for gaming this just seems overkill to such an extreme.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019
Nobody knows that one just yet... you might need a custom closed loop with a giant waterblock to remove heat from it adequately. Anything lesser and it will just throttle it's way through rendering jobs.

This thing really sounds like Intel's FX-9590.
yes, but it will still be the fastest gaming chip in the world ..which 9590 never was. Also I dont want mobo with tiny, loud CHIPSET COOLER so no amd for me! (lets hope 3080ti wont be bottlenecked by pcie 3.0 16x)
also I have a secret solution that I would rather not say here publicly which will make my noctua better than any water cooler (even custom rig).I can PM you my secret if you want to... it's a secret because it's very dangerous and don't wanna be held responsible.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
you were not the first to respond but you have given me the best idea so far ( search for mobos with 2nd 16x slot .. i hope such things exist!) ,so you get the solution award!

Yes he has a good point, but be prepared to spend. For example if you went ASUS the only boards with this setup are their highest end Crosshair (AMD) and Maximus (Intel) boards.

yes, but it will still be the fastest gaming chip in the world ..which 9590 never was. Also I dont want mobo with tiny, loud CHIPSET COOLER! (lets hope 3080ti wont be bottlenecked by pcie 3.0 16x)

I have one (on a Ryzen, 9590 didn't have that), you can't hear the chipset cooler, whatever GPU you have will easily drown it out.

The "3080ti" won't be bottlenecked by PCIe 3.0, there is still so much bandwidth left.

Your fear of liquid is misplaced. Sure custom loops can be dangerous if not built properly, but AIO failure is exceedingly rare. Really nothing to worry about and makes your packaging requirements much easier.

yes, but it will still be the fastest gaming chip in the world ...

Why are you so certain it would beat a 9900? Games don't need 10 threads, after all, and isn't this just a 9900 with 2 more cores/4 threads?

My understanding is the 10900 is a response to the 3950 which kills anything Intel can put up right now in low-end HEDT (on a consumer platform). That's where cores matter.

Oct 22, 2019
yes, but it will still be the fastest gaming chip in the world ..which 9590 never was. Also I dont want mobo with tiny, loud CHIPSET COOLER! (lets hope 3080ti wont be bottlenecked by pcie 3.0 16x)
also I have a secret solution that I would rather not say here publicly which will make my noctua better than any water cooler (even custom rig).I can PM you my secret.

Why are you so certain it would beat a 9900? Games don't need 10 threads, after all, and isn't this just a 9900 with 2 more cores/4 threads?
and higher binned --> higher clocks.. I expect to EASILY get 5.2ghz on all 20 threads on that beast.(I am running my old 22nm 4790k at 5.0 ghz right now).
Intel knows it wont be competing with anything less than that. The only advantage intel has IS that their process is so mature and refined (just as 4790k was for 22nm) !! WHICH AMD WILL NEVER HAVE SINCE THEY ARE CHANGING ARCHITECTURES AND USING SMALLER NODES ALMOST EVERY GEN\YEAR.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
and higher binned --> higher clocks.. I expect to EASILY get 5.2ghz on all 20 threads on that beast.(I am running my old 22nm 4790k at 5.0 ghz right now).
Intel knows it wont be competing with anything less than that. The only advantage intel has IS that their process is so mature and refined (just as 4790k was for 22nm) !! WHICH AMD WILL NEVER HAVE SINCE THEY ARE CHANGING ARCHITECTURES AND USING SMALLER NODES ALMOST EVERY GEN\YEAR.

I'd be careful with those assertions. From the leaks seen the 10900k will turbo to 5.2 on a SINGLE core. Somehow you believe, with an air cooler, you will be "easily" running 5.2 on all cores, stable, you are really dreaming. I'm sure there is a chance its possible, but there simply is not enough actual facts to believe that or plan for it.

Regarding AMD they have not changed the architecture at all, they have refined it and shrunk the node which has its own advantages, not that its even relevant here as we are discussing your Intel build.

Now I will put my moderator hat on, if this turns into an Intel vs AMD bash thread it will be closed immediately so I suggest leaving AMD out of your discussion, secondly do not post in all caps, that is a specific rule here.

Oct 22, 2019
and higher binned --> higher clocks.. I expect to get 5.2ghz on all 20 threads on that beast.(I am running my old 22nm 4790k at 5.0 ght right now).
Intel knows it wont be competing with anything less than that. The only advantage intel has is that their process is so mature and refined!! WHICH AMD WILL NEVER HAVE SINCE THEY ARE CHANGING ARCHITECTURES AND USING SMALLER NODES ALMOST EVERY GEN\YEAR.
I'd be careful with those assertions. From the leaks seen the 10900k will turbo to 5.2 on a SINGLE core. Somehow you believe, with an air cooler, you will be "easily" running 5.2 on all cores, stable, you are really dreaming. I'm sure there is a chance its possible, but there simply is not enough actual facts to believe that or plan for it.

Regarding AMD they have not changed the architecture at all, they have refined it and shrunk the node which has its own advantages, not that its even relevant here as we are discussing your Intel build.

Now I will put my moderator hat on, if this turns into an Intel vs AMD bash thread it will be closed immediately so I suggest leaving AMD out of your discussion, secondly do not post in all caps, that is a specific rule here.
'Somehow you believe, with an air cooler, you will be "easily" running 5.2 on all cores, stable, you are really dreaming''
Well that's exactly why I mentioned my ''secret ingredient'' a few posts earlier. I am also having a tough time convincing people (even after showing validated cpu info\benches) that I am running a 4790k at 5.0ghz only with Air cooler (scythe mugen 3) at 30 degrees idle and max. 50-55 degrees Celsius (during summer I once reached 60° when cpu was working 100% load). . I can PM the secret if you wish but won't post it here.

''I'd be careful with those assertions. From the leaks seen the 10900k will turbo to 5.2 on a SINGLE core. ''
ever heard about manual overclock ;)?

''Now I will put my moderator hat on''
You can take off your hat .. I only mentioned AMD because I actually want to buy amd (who doesnt want same general performance for half the power consumption?) but that chipset fan (which may or may not be loud ) will surely fail well before the mobo itself will and that is an additional thing I personally dont want to worry about (also, if it's so quiet as you say, I won't even hear when it will stop working and then the Chipset will overheat \fail and then render the mobo useless). Also, as I have read, the fact that AMD positioned the chiplets under the IHS in such a asymmetric manner(not in the middle as Intel) that mostly a corner of the IHS gets especially hot making it trickier to cool.. and I only wrote in Caps because I forgot to turn it off after using the exclamation sign ..and then was in a hurry to go to a meeting so I didn't have time to delete and re-write the whole thing again. (yes, I am the type of guy that looks at the keyboard when writing and only looks at screen when sentence is over). I think no one is bashing amd or intel.. but clearly both have advantages and disadvantages that are facts, not fanboy-talk. Each buyer needs to know where their priorities lie..and with me it is exclusively gaming (since I earn my money not by working on a pc, so I don't need editing\rendering etc). For everything else AMD is better and that's also a well - known fact.

As far as I am concerned ,consider this thread closed. Thank you all for your input and help!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
'Somehow you believe, with an air cooler, you will be "easily" running 5.2 on all cores, stable, you are really dreaming''
Well that's exactly why I mentioned my ''secret ingredient'' a few posts earlier. I am also having a tough time convincing people (even after showing validated cpu info\benches) that I am running a 4790k at 5.0ghz only with Air cooler (scythe mugen 3) at 30 degrees idle and max. 50-55 degrees Celsius (during summer I once reached 60° when cpu was working 100% load). . I can PM the secret if you wish but won't post it here.

''I'd be careful with those assertions. From the leaks seen the 10900k will turbo to 5.2 on a SINGLE core. ''
ever heard about manual overclock ;)?

I promise you there is no special secret that you are using that no one else here has EVER heard of or known.

I'm not even going to reply to your other smart alec comment, but I look forward to seeing your benchmarks when this system you are building is completed.

Since you have solved the thread and called it closed, I will take the liberty to close it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.