[SOLVED] Low performance on game

May 13, 2020
Hi, first time here so here we go,

2 years ago I built a pc with my friend, I had like 1500$ budget for this and I wanted to change everything. We built it and I was happy with the result until I started playing.

Since the beginning, I noticed that my games were laggy and was no even able to keep 60 fps stable. I'm just wondering if its the CPU fault of my games lagging. I cleaned my pc like a month ago, my drivers are up to date. For example, I bought AC Syndicate the other day and throught all the game I had 40-50fps during gameplay but 100+ during cinematic/cutscenes.Also, when I'm playing I saw that my CPU was a 100% usage on the task manager which I think is not very good for the component I hope you guys can help me on this. Here's my build :

Intel Core i5-8600k @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 16g

GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00A8LB0
232GB Hitachi HP SSD S700 250GB

Solution
Absolutely it could. If you are going to do a complete wipe, totally fresh, first format the hdd. Wipe it out. When you do the fresh windows install, disconnect the data wire to the hdd or windows will try to partially install itself there too. You don't want that at all. The only drive that should be hooked up is the ssd.

After windows is completed, goto the gpu website, get a fresh copy and install. Then goto the motherboard website and download and install the motherboard drivers.

Then plug your hdd back in. On boot, goto bios, don't save, just shut pc off manually. On reboot, it'll force bios to detect everything in your pc including the hdd. Allow it to start windows. Before anything else is added, go back to userbenchmark and...
May 13, 2020
Hello,
Excuse in advance for my english..
I built a pc 2 years ago with my friend. I had 1500$ budget for this and we manage to get all the components with the budget. I was very happy with the result until I started playing games.

Since the beginning, I noticed that my games were laggy and was no even able to keep 60 fps stable. I'm just wondering if its the CPU's fault of my games lagging. I cleaned my pc like a month ago, my drivers are up to date. For example, I bought AC Syndicate the other day and throught all the game I had 40-50fps during gameplay but 100+ during cinematic/cutscenes. Also, when I'm playing I saw that my CPU was a 100% usage on the task manager which I think is not very good for the component. Even tho I have all the recommended and more for this game, I'm not able to run it smoothly (little freeze, bug sound, texture stretching). Maybe I'm too picky but this game release in 2014 and don't have the best graphic out there. I took this game for example but other games like Tomb raider, Gta, Mirror's edge were like this too. All my drivers are up to date and I cleaned my pc last month. I hope you guys can help me on this and tell me if my cpu needs a change. Its my first time here and sorry for my horrible english ( I'm from Quebec ahah)

Here's my build:

Windows 10 (ofc)

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600k @ 3.60GHz

16g Ram

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z370 AORUS Gaming 3

Hi, first time here so here we go,

2 years ago I built a pc with my friend, I had like 1500$ budget for this and I wanted to change everything. We built it and I was happy with the result until I started playing.

Since the beginning, I noticed that my games were laggy and was no even able to keep 60 fps stable. I'm just wondering if its the CPU fault of my games lagging. I cleaned my pc like a month ago, my drivers are up to date. For example, I bought AC Syndicate the other day and throught all the game I had 40-50fps during gameplay but 100+ during cinematic/cutscenes.Also, when I'm playing I saw that my CPU was a 100% usage on the task manager which I think is not very good for the component I hope you guys can help me on this. Here's my build :

Intel Core i5-8600k @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 16g

Check for background tasks, Windows updates, or anything else using up too much CPU in the task manager. Also do a malware check with Malwarebytes antivirus. Your processor has 6 threads, and in some games that can be a limitation, but you shouldn't get 100% CPU usage in AC Syndicate all the time. Download and install MSI Afterburner and use the On-Screen display to check CPU and GPU usage as well as their temps while playing the game. Please also list your motherboard, RAM speed and power supply.

May 13, 2020
Hi,

Thank you for quick response !

I just did a malware check and they found nothing and my windows is up to date too. Also, when I play the game I close everything else even my second monitor. My temps are also fine but I didn't check the usage with afterburner, I will do it next time I play the game. Until then, Here's the rest of my build:

Ram: 6,0 Go Single-Channel Unknown @ 1200MHz

Power supply :
Rosewill PHOTON Series 750W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI & Crossfire Ready - Photon-750

Thank you :)

May 13, 2020
Hi again,

I just did a test with afterburner in game and here's the result:

When I'm playing my CPU is at 100% usage and 48C and my GPU is at 95% usage and at 55C. When I go into the menu (pause) my CPU drops to 50% or so.
Also, I have 45-60 fps (depend on the place in the game).

Waiting for your response !

Hi again,

I just did a test with afterburner in game and here's the result:

When I'm playing my CPU is at 100% usage and 48C and my GPU is at 95% usage and at 55C. When I go into the menu (pause) my CPU drops to 50% or so.
Also, I have 45-60 fps (depend on the place in the game).

Waiting for your response !
Hi, so ideally you want your GPU to be 100% utilised when gaming, and 95% means there isn't much of a bottleneck. Your CPU and GPU are both almost maxed out, which means your PC is performing the fastest it can. Maybe the problem is with the game, try lowering the settings and see if FPS improves. Also make sure you don't have any FPS limit in the game or any other software, and try turning V-Sync off.

May 13, 2020
Hi,

Thank you for quick response !

I just did a malware check and they found nothing and my windows is up to date too. Also, when I play the game I close everything else even my second monitor. My temps are also fine but I didn't check the usage with afterburner, I will do it next time I play the game. Until then, Here's the rest of my build:

Power supply :
Rosewill PHOTON Series 750W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI & Crossfire Ready - Photon-750

Hi, so ideally you want your GPU to be 100% utilised when gaming, and 95% means there isn't much of a bottleneck. Your CPU and GPU are both almost maxed out, which means your PC is performing the fastest it can. Maybe the problem is with the game, try lowering the settings and see if FPS improves. Also make sure you don't have any FPS limit in the game or any other software, and try turning V-Sync off.

Hi again,

When I started the game, v-sync was already off and they put my graphic setting to the max by default saying that I could run it that high. Owever, I had to lowered it to medium because I was at 30-40 fps . I can put it the lowest and have 60fps but the game looks terrible! I check if the client was limiting my fps but it isn't. Like I said my fps can go up to 144 during cinematic/cutscenes. Also, if my game is running and I want to open a google chrome page, its really laggy. I'm may be too picky but when I built my pc , I was sure that my pc could run almost anything except big game release this year. I'm just wondering if changing CPU could make a change. One of my friend told me that i7 is better for gaming but I don't know if its true.

Thank you again for the response :)

Hi again,

When I started the game, v-sync was already off and they put my graphic setting to the max by default saying that I could run it that high. Owever, I had to lowered it to medium because I was at 30-40 fps . I can put it the lowest and have 60fps but the game looks terrible! I check if the client was limiting my fps but it isn't. Like I said my fps can go up to 144 during cinematic/cutscenes. Also, if my game is running and I want to open a google chrome page, its really laggy. I'm may be too picky but when I built my pc , I was sure that my pc could run almost anything except big game release this year. I'm just wondering if changing CPU could make a change. One of my friend told me that i7 is better for gaming but I don't know if its true.

Thank you again for the response :)
Try running at the high preset, there's also a youtube video where the CPU is i5 8400 and GPU is RTX 2060, try copying his settings to your game. With his RTX 2060, which is much faster than your GPU, he runs at ultra high to high settings, gets 70-80 FPS, and his CPU usage is also staying above 80% all the time. However, your CPU is hitting 100% at 40-50 FPS, which is not normal, and means that there must be something else using up your CPU in the background. Your CPU is 6 core 6 threads, and in some games that can be not enough, but AC Syndicate isn't a very new game and should run on a 6 core processor without hitting 100% all the time. Again, check your Task Manager and sort the processes by CPU usage, see if there is anything other than the game that's using up CPU. I think with a GTX 1060, high settings on AC Syndicate should get you an average of 60 FPS.

May 13, 2020
Try running at the high preset, there's also a youtube video where the CPU is i5 8400 and GPU is RTX 2060, try copying his settings to your game. With his RTX 2060, which is much faster than your GPU, he runs at ultra high to high settings, gets 70-80 FPS, and his CPU usage is also staying above 80% all the time. However, your CPU is hitting 100% at 40-50 FPS, which is not normal, and means that there must be something else using up your CPU in the background. Your CPU is 6 core 6 threads, and in some games that can be not enough, but AC Syndicate isn't a very new game and should run on a 6 core processor without hitting 100% all the time. Again, check your Task Manager and sort the processes by CPU usage, see if there is anything other than the game that's using up CPU. I think with a GTX 1060, high settings on AC Syndicate should get you an average of 60 FPS.

Hello ,

I played my game with the high preset and check if something was using my cpu other than the game but literaly nothing except the task manager itself and windows explorer is using my CPU. Take a look :https://ibb.co/5kfzpbS. The game itself use up to 95% of the CPU and my fps vary between 40-70fps depend on what I'm doing but most of the time I'm at 50fps. I don't really know but can one or more of my cores be locked ? Waiting for you response !

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

I'm going to assume that's a typo error, and you meant a 1x16Gb of unknown brand 2400MHz DDR4. Windows will tell you it's Data Rate, which is half of the Dual Data Rate.

Yes i7 is better, and no it's not. It depends on your point of view and the game. If you aren't using more than 6 threads, then the game will run exactly the same on i5 as i7. No benefit. It's only if the game does use more than 6 threads there's a small benefit. Which depends on your point of view whether that small benefit is worth the price of the i7.

Don't bother turning off the second monitor, the usage of both is such a small difference it's barely out of the margin of error for gpu tests. Personally I love dual monitors, I can open up other things like task manager and see real time results when gaming, like if other programs suddenly start up or how much use the game is using while running and not tabbed.

Usage is misleading. It's the measure of the amount of resources needed to be used by the cou/gpu to fulfill the task. NOT how much of the cpu/gpu is being used. So you most definitely do NOT want anything close to 100% usage.

The cpu pre-renders a frame by placing and naming every object, translating the game code to do so. It'll do this at 100% of its ability, based on cpu speeds and IPC (instructions per clock). It might complete 100 frames this way in 1 second, so it's output is 100fps. However, it may only need half it's available bandwidth, cores, Lcache etc do do that. So 100 fps is 50% usage. Those frames get sent to the gpu to paint the picture. It'll do so at its 100% ability, it'll paint each frame according to detail settings and resolution. Which takes more time per frame with higher details and higher resolutions. If the gpu is weak, you only get 60 fps on ultra, lowering details means more frames can be painted, so you might get 100fps on medium. But you'll never get 110fps even on low as the cpu only sent 100.

If the gpu is strong, you might get 100fps on ultra. Dropping to medium, you get 100fps. Low 100fps. Because the cpu only sent 100. But it might still only take 40% usage to paint all 100 frames. Or 60% during an explosion. Which is why you do NOT want to be at 100% or close, as anytime you go from a nice peaceful scene to a full on atomic explosion, the fps goes in the toilet, you have no resources room to move. No resources like bandwidth means the cpu/gpu is forced to wait on space and frames get pre-rendered or painted at a slower rate.

Game scenes and cutscenes are different. Very different. In a game scene, you have a background, middle and foreground and everything is an object that must be placed, given movement, shape, size, dimensions, touchability, interaction etc. That takes power from the cpu do do all that for every object. Which also takes longer per frame. A cutscene is video. No objects, no dimensions, no nothing but a moving picture to be painted. Very easy for the cpu to do, very fast frame times.

I'd start by running userbenchmark. That'll do a series of tests on the whole pc and if something is holding you up, will point to it. At least you'll have a clue where to start.

May 13, 2020
I'm going to assume that's a typo error, and you meant a 1x16Gb of unknown brand 2400MHz DDR4. Windows will tell you it's Data Rate, which is half of the Dual Data Rate.

Yes i7 is better, and no it's not. It depends on your point of view and the game. If you aren't using more than 6 threads, then the game will run exactly the same on i5 as i7. No benefit. It's only if the game does use more than 6 threads there's a small benefit. Which depends on your point of view whether that small benefit is worth the price of the i7.

Don't bother turning off the second monitor, the usage of both is such a small difference it's barely out of the margin of error for gpu tests. Personally I love dual monitors, I can open up other things like task manager and see real time results when gaming, like if other programs suddenly start up or how much use the game is using while running and not tabbed.

Usage is misleading. It's the measure of the amount of resources needed to be used by the cou/gpu to fulfill the task. NOT how much of the cpu/gpu is being used. So you most definitely do NOT want anything close to 100% usage.

The cpu pre-renders a frame by placing and naming every object, translating the game code to do so. It'll do this at 100% of its ability, based on cpu speeds and IPC (instructions per clock). It might complete 100 frames this way in 1 second, so it's output is 100fps. However, it may only need half it's available bandwidth, cores, Lcache etc do do that. So 100 fps is 50% usage. Those frames get sent to the gpu to paint the picture. It'll do so at its 100% ability, it'll paint each frame according to detail settings and resolution. Which takes more time per frame with higher details and higher resolutions. If the gpu is weak, you only get 60 fps on ultra, lowering details means more frames can be painted, so you might get 100fps on medium. But you'll never get 110fps even on low as the cpu only sent 100.

If the gpu is strong, you might get 100fps on ultra. Dropping to medium, you get 100fps. Low 100fps. Because the cpu only sent 100. But it might still only take 40% usage to paint all 100 frames. Or 60% during an explosion. Which is why you do NOT want to be at 100% or close, as anytime you go from a nice peaceful scene to a full on atomic explosion, the fps goes in the toilet, you have no resources room to move. No resources like bandwidth means the cpu/gpu is forced to wait on space and frames get pre-rendered or painted at a slower rate.

Game scenes and cutscenes are different. Very different. In a game scene, you have a background, middle and foreground and everything is an object that must be placed, given movement, shape, size, dimensions, touchability, interaction etc. That takes power from the cpu do do all that for every object. Which also takes longer per frame. A cutscene is video. No objects, no dimensions, no nothing but a moving picture to be painted. Very easy for the cpu to do, very fast frame times.

I'd start by running userbenchmark. That'll do a series of tests on the whole pc and if something is holding you up, will point to it. At least you'll have a clue where to start.

Hello,
I just did a userbenchmark on my pc and it says that my pc works 27% below exceptation. Here are the result:

UserBenchmarks: Game 56%, Desk 73%, Work 62%
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K - 88.9%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 55.3%
SSD: HP S700 250GB - 39.6%
HDD: WD Green 1TB (2011) - 67.6%
RAM: Unknown TEAMGROUP-UD4-2800 2x8GB - 44.2%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z370 AORUS Gaming 3

My SSD works at 39% which is strange but I was thinking about doing a windows recovery to start fresh. My pc have a lot of installed game and software that I don't use anymore. Do you think that could help ?

Thank you !

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Absolutely it could. If you are going to do a complete wipe, totally fresh, first format the hdd. Wipe it out. When you do the fresh windows install, disconnect the data wire to the hdd or windows will try to partially install itself there too. You don't want that at all. The only drive that should be hooked up is the ssd.

After windows is completed, goto the gpu website, get a fresh copy and install. Then goto the motherboard website and download and install the motherboard drivers.

Then plug your hdd back in. On boot, goto bios, don't save, just shut pc off manually. On reboot, it'll force bios to detect everything in your pc including the hdd. Allow it to start windows. Before anything else is added, go back to userbenchmark and re-run the test.

That's as empty as it gets. No possibility of conflicts from any outside source. Just windows and drivers. If there is a hardware issue, you'll see it.

Solution