[SOLVED] Low performance on GTX 1080 and i7 7700

Jarema

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
Hey all,

Recently except my usual music production stuff which works perfectly fine, I started playing new videos games which are:

Hunt: Showdown
Escape From Tarkov

And I encountered some weirdly slow performance. That means Hunt playing around 50-110 FPS on 1080p all settings to max.

I started debugging it a little as I found out that lowering graphic settings did increase max FPS, but the dips were still around 60 FPS.
Suspecting overheating seeing around 78c temps, I cleaned heavily my PC and temps went dont.

Next thing was suspecting CPU bottlenecking (which is weird as i7 7700 never bottlenecked gtx1080 for me) and I got some results, that surprised me:

Nor CPU, nor GPU were at 100%.

Are those games not able to utilize CPU to 100% (as there are few cores and threads) and values presented are actually bottlenecking?
Is there other potential problem with my setup?
I had random issues with this PC for quite some time.
WItcher3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 work flawlessy on high/ultra details at 1080p/60FPS, where PUBG had issues to stay around 90 FPS even on medium/low settings.
Doom Eternal keeps around 90 FPS.
Valorant and CS:GO hit above 200 FPS on average.

My goal is to run at least above 100 FPS in most FPS games, above 144 in competetive FPS games and 60 in all the rest for 1080p setup and high settings.

Full setup:

Motherboard: Asus Prime B250M-A
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 OC (not OC'ed for this test)
CPU: i7 7700
RAM: DDR4 16 GB (single stick, though. I heard though it does not matter?)

screenshots of monitoring while running hunt:showdown game:
GPU
View: https://imgur.com/a/Q7kWH0l

View: https://imgur.com/11bhpGq

CPU
View: https://imgur.com/ZDl2F9A

View: https://imgur.com/B7jKEeK

Thanks for help!

Solution
I have a strong feeling it is the one ram stick in your system. single channel is a pretty huge bottle neck as those cpus are made to run really well with dual channel memory. the i7 7700 and 1080 are really good performing components, i would really suggest you to get another same make model of the ram and putting it in the second slot.
Also refer the motherboard manual whether you have to put them in the two grey or the two black slots to run dual channel memory properly.

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
I have a strong feeling it is the one ram stick in your system. single channel is a pretty huge bottle neck as those cpus are made to run really well with dual channel memory. the i7 7700 and 1080 are really good performing components, i would really suggest you to get another same make model of the ram and putting it in the second slot.
Also refer the motherboard manual whether you have to put them in the two grey or the two black slots to run dual channel memory properly.

Solution

Jarema

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
Thanks for the answer.

After lenghty reasearch I got to similar conclusions.
I'm just getting 2x8GB setup, as current RAM is low quality Goodram cl18 2400 setup.
It was meant to serve first month or two, as I got this build at really nice sale price with drawback being bad RAM but then I kind of forgot about it :).

I will let you know if it fixed the issue.

Reactions: thomas123321

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Thanks for the answer.

After lenghty reasearch I got to similar conclusions.
I'm just getting 2x8GB setup, as current RAM is low quality Goodram cl18 2400 setup.
It was meant to serve first month or two, as I got this build at really nice sale price with drawback being bad RAM but then I kind of forgot about it :).

I will let you know if it fixed the issue.
Great, have fun gaming away :D

Jarema

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
Yeah, I got Corsair Vengeance 2x8 3200 cl16 and got 15 FPS average increase which might not sound that much, but what is good the dips and lows are gone.
That means a fluid gameplay 75-110 FPS. Not yet perfect, but for sure good enough :).

Thanks for accurate advice!