[SOLVED] Low performance when running online multiplayer games

Oct 26, 2021
Hey folks.

Last night I loaded Hell Let Loose and my performance was awful <20 fps, I tried the normal things like updating Nvidia drivers and restarting my machine and nothing changed. I assumed it was the game so went a gave another game a go - Zero Hour. Again same performance.
I spent sometime trying to figure out if some settings had changed but to no avail. I then opened up the Resident evil village demo, which ran fine with RTX on, thought that was odd, so checked out Deathloop which also seemed to run fine. I later tried loading Splitgate and also Tarkov, both of which suffered the same performance issues. I'm finding it odd that this issue is purely affecting multiplayer games but I've not managed to get to the bottom of it.
Additional steps that i've undertaken.
  • Rolled back GPU driver to 472.12 to test an older driver
  • Rebooted my router
  • Looked for any 'odd' program that could be messing the performance up
  • Checked internet speed
PC Specs
  • Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming Intel Z370 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
  • CPU: Intel Core I7-8086K 4.00GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151
  • RAM: Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel
  • GPU: 3080 FE
  • PSU: Corsair 750w

Solution
Things I would try:
  • Replace the ethernet cable if you're using one.
  • Restart your router.
  • Re-seat your GPU.
  • Use DDU to fully uninstall your GPU drivers, then re-install with the latest.
  • Remove any OC settings on your GPU and CPU if you have any.
  • Check temps.
Sorry if some of these seem a little odd. It's better to rule out everything before going further.

Additionally, running a userbenchmark and posting the result here could give us some insight.

Saloth

Prominent
Oct 14, 2021
Did it start happening out of the blue or you've already experienced such issues? From my experience nowadays games are unoptimized and that might be sometimes hitting the jackpot having well paired gear for particular games. That being said, I had a budget gaming laptop and even on a crowded 7 Days to Die server I still could run it pretty well with my desired minimum of 40-45fps while my friend has a NASA pc (sic!) Comparing to my laptop (before it died) was supposed to run it smoothly on max details. So that's a lottery. And 7dtd hated his specs. Nobody can tell why things like that happen.

Another example would be good old Mount & Blade Warband. I upgraded my pc gpu and it still sucked while I saw on yt some even more potato laptops with literally all specs worse than I had... - ran huge sieges and battles with stable 60fps. You'd have to dance around your specs over and over again changing stuff til something triggers well. I haven't played games you struggle with but that doesn't matter. It's a common global problem with video games today.

Jun 27, 2021
Things I would try:
  • Replace the ethernet cable if you're using one.
  • Restart your router.
  • Re-seat your GPU.
  • Use DDU to fully uninstall your GPU drivers, then re-install with the latest.
  • Remove any OC settings on your GPU and CPU if you have any.
  • Check temps.
Sorry if some of these seem a little odd. It's better to rule out everything before going further.

Additionally, running a userbenchmark and posting the result here could give us some insight.

Solution
Oct 26, 2021
Thanks, I actually did a network reset this am which for whatever reason appears to have resolved the issue. I'm not sure why it resolved it though