[SOLVED] Low-profile graphics card required for Dell Optiplex SFF 3010

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Any low profile video cards that'll fit a Dell Optiplex SFF 3010? (Dell recommends the AMD Radeon R5 240 1gb but I want something better.)

At least 2gb, any suggestions?

Any low profile video cards that'll fit a Dell Optiplex SFF 3010? (Dell recommends the AMD Radeon R5 240 1gb but I want something better.)

At least 2gb, any suggestions?
The best GPUs you can run in that system without requiring a PCIE cable for extra power, are any low profile GTX 1650 (not Super) at $140-160. A step down would be a GT 1030 for around half the cost, but less than half the performance. The GTX 1050/TI are usually the same price as the 1650, but they're about 25-35% slower, so there isn't much reason to buy them.

This is the best versions of the GTX 1650 being slightly faster with GDDR6 ram instead of GDDR5 like the older 1650 models and it's the same price as the older models. If you can't get a GDDR6 version, I wouldn't worry too much about it as you will lose only about 3-5fps in most games. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1650 GV-N1656OC-4GL 4GB
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1650-gv-n1656oc-4gl/p/N82E16814932298

Dell Optiplex 3010 - Specifications
Reference Pg. 16 - The Small Form Factor unit has a 50 watt limitation of the PCI-Ex16 expansion slot. Your best bet is going to be a GT 1030.

-Wolf sends
Everything I looked at suggested people were running GTX 1050/TI in that system without issue, Including some of the regular posters on the Dell forums. It's suggested the PSUs that Dell uses are underrated. There is also this video of the guy upgrading to a GTX 1050 TI.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVeWD15hLCY

In-fact, I've recently been able to get a low profile GTX 1650 running on an HP ProDesk 400 G1 that has a 35watt limit on the PCIE x16 slot as stated on the motherboard. I never did any benchmarks on it and only tested Minecraft.

The GT 1030 would be the safe option, but a GTx 1650 low profile should work fine.

Wolfshadw

Titan
@Third-Eye - Some good to know info there. Thanks for the video link.

but a GTx 1650 low profile should work fine.

Key word there being, "should". I'd hate to be the guy that says it'll work, have the OP take the advice only to not get it working. That's why I keep my recommendations within the stated/posted specs.

@alphacoyle - You have evidence of better cards working, but the specs say otherwise. Up to you which way to go.

-Wolf sends

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What generation CPU is this Optiplex 3010? Some Dell models are notoriously finicky (ie: won't work) with newer GPUs. I know that some XPS models from around that era work fine with 10-series Nvidia cards, but NOT with 16-series Nvidia cards.

Before giving the 1650 a go, try to search on the Dell forums to see if anyone has done so successfully on the same Optiplex.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
What generation CPU is this Optiplex 3010? Some Dell models are notoriously finicky (ie: won't work) with newer GPUs. I know that some XPS models from around that era work fine with 10-series Nvidia cards, but NOT with 16-series Nvidia cards.

Before giving the 1650 a go, try to search on the Dell forums to see if anyone has done so successfully on the same Optiplex.
It's an i3-3220, I saw a video of someone putting a 1030 in it, that seems like a reasonable GPU for this pc, I just recently replaced the PSU. Recently built a new pc so was thinking of putting the Dell in my son's room; I'd get a sata to fan adapter cable for some extra venting; the single 80mm 4w case fan isn't much, and I don't even know if there's a fan inside the PSU--I should've dismantled the old one before throwing it out.
Before I'd spend too much on it, the money would be better spent on a newer full size card in the new computer something like a RX570 etc.