Question Low speeds on AP

Jan 16, 2023
Hello,
I am having issues with low speeds on the router I have setup in AP mode.
Here is my current setup:
Fiber to the Home connection 500 mbps up /130 mbps down
  1. Main router (Asus GS-AX3000) on 1st floor in Office.
  2. AP router (Archer AX1800) set to AP mode in basement.
  3. Ethernet cable (Cat 5e) connected to LAN port of main router and connected to WAN port on AP router.
  4. Both routers have different SSID's and each has both bands enabled.
  5. On AP, 2.4 Ghz band set to 40Mhz and 5Ghz band set to 80 Mhz
  6. Channel interference is minimal, quite a bit of distance between houses where I live.

For speed tests, I am using both a laptop (connected wirelessly) using Fast.com and my Android phone using an App called NetSpot.
When connected to the main router's 5 Ghz WiFi, I get full speed that I am paying for down and up.
When I connect to the AP's 5 Ghz WiFi, I am maxing out at 100 mbps.
Weird thing is, when I look at the Wifi connection on my phone, it says connected at 720 mbps, but only reaches 100 mbps during speed test.
The AP's 2.4 Ghz connection is even worse, maybe 40-50 mbps.
These tests were all performed standing within 3-5 feet from the access point.
I followed TP Link's video for setting router into AP mode.
When I was using the Archer AX-1800 router as my main, I was getting the 500 down / 130 up also.
The LAN ports on the main router are listed as being Gigabit.
What am I missing?

You likely have a bad cable between the router in the basement and the main router.

Maybe you can tell the connection speed by the light colors on the routers or maybe they have some screen that shows you the speed.

You could try a pc directly plugged into the cable going upstairs but that does not 100% say it is still not a bad cable. Cables can work on some device and not others so it is best if you can determine the speed the cable is running at on the routers.

It all depends on how the cabling is run. Most times it is the ends of the cable and if you have keystone jacks you should be able to first examine both end looking for miswiring or maybe a loose wire. You can then pull the wires out cut a tiny bit off and repunch them down.

Some people run that flat or thin cable along the bottom of the wall. That cable is not certified ethernet cable and has more problem the more distance you go.

Jan 16, 2023
Thanks for the reply.
I think you may be right about the cable. First, I'm going to bring the AP/router upstairs and plug it into the main router with a verified patch cable and see if that helps. That way I eliminate the cable run to the basement. If that works, guess I'll be pulling a new cable down there. Thanks again.

Jan 16, 2023
You likely have a bad cable between the router in the basement and the main router.

Maybe you can tell the connection speed by the light colors on the routers or maybe they have some screen that shows you the speed.

You could try a pc directly plugged into the cable going upstairs but that does not 100% say it is still not a bad cable. Cables can work on some device and not others so it is best if you can determine the speed the cable is running at on the routers.

It all depends on how the cabling is run. Most times it is the ends of the cable and if you have keystone jacks you should be able to first examine both end looking for miswiring or maybe a loose wire. You can then pull the wires out cut a tiny bit off and repunch them down.

Some people run that flat or thin cable along the bottom of the wall. That cable is not certified ethernet cable and has more problem the more distance you go.
You were right!
I brought the AP upstairs and plugged direct into the new router with a new patch cable, ran a speed test and bingo, 600 mbps!