[SOLVED] Low speeds on NVMe when using an adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesi123

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Hello guys, my mobo TUF B450m Plus gaming mobo has a dedicated M.2 slot but it is right under the GPU and I have serious heat issues when using that slot for an NVMe (about 79C idle). Since then I bought a Sabrent PCIe adapter and all seems well except the speeds went down from about 3400 m/s to only 1600 m/s. I have 2 PCIe lanes and the second lane runs in PCIe 3.0 x4 mode when the GPU is plugged in the first slot. Is this a normal speed ? Thermals are good on the M.2 (about 44 c) but the speeds are nowhere as fast. The M.2 in question is Crucial P5 1 TB, averages speeds of about 3500 m/s.

One more thing to note is that when I unboxed the adapter, it had some dark red goo on the chip bits and I did try to remove as much as I could but there is some still left in the hard to reach cracks. Is that something that is affecting the speeds perhaps ? Seems a bit silly though but I cant figure out why the speeds took such a dip. I did google the speeds I can expect and it says far higher than 1600.

Thank you !

Does that mean the speeds i am getting are normal and there is nothing I can do ? Not sure about the 2.0 part because the mobo has 2 x PCIe x 16 Slots and second goes to x4
Yep. Nothing you can do there (except for getting a new motherboard).
PCIE 2.0 slot is why you're getting lowered speeds.

Or you can use your pcie M.2 adapter in first PCIE x16 slot (where graphics card goes). Then you can achieve full bandwidth necessary for M.2 PCIE 3.0 x4 drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgd1101

mesi123

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Yep. Nothing you can do there (except for getting a new motherboard).
PCIE 2.0 slot is why you're getting lowered speeds.

Or you can use your pcie M.2 adapter in first PCIE x16 slot (where graphics card goes). Then you can achieve full bandwidth necessary for M.2 PCIE 3.0 x4 drive.
Thank you, thought a B450 motherboard would be new enough to have good speeds on both lanes but I guess not. And I cant plug it in first lane bc that is for gpu, and gpu is too big to be plugged in second anyway. Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.