Question Low Upload Speeds on Computer Only

May 27, 2021
So my internet package is 50mbps down and 10mbps up. I only get 2mbps up at most on my computer while everything else is normal. My speeds are fine on every device except my desktop computer where I need those speeds most. I have looked into everything that google has provided me already. I disable Windows Management Instrumentation, disabled VPNs and firewalls/antivirus, router is all good and capable, ISP doesn't limit me or anything as they came here and tested everything themselves including my ethernet cord connect to my desktop, I could not find any of the LAN optimizers or stuff like that, my computer is clean of viruses, and so on. I really do not know the problem.

May 26, 2021
So my internet package is 50mbps down and 10mbps up. I only get 2mbps up at most on my computer while everything else is normal. My speeds are fine on every device except my desktop computer where I need those speeds most. I have looked into everything that google has provided me already. I disable Windows Management Instrumentation, disabled VPNs and firewalls/antivirus, router is all good and capable, ISP doesn't limit me or anything as they came here and tested everything themselves including my ethernet cord connect to my desktop, I could not find any of the LAN optimizers or stuff like that, my computer is clean of viruses, and so on. I really do not know the problem.
Are you using LAN or WiFi?

I'm on a 350mb up and 35 down service with Virgin Media. Directly connected my PC to the hub, I get full speeds both up & down. Used to suffer with terrible WiFi coverage in the house however until we recently bought an Orbi home mesh WiFi kit.

Do you have the correct, and latest, LAN drivers for your PC?

May 26, 2021
How are you measuring your upload speed? Is it in MBps or Mbps? Getting which one it is -- "mbps" is not a thing -- is absolutely crucial to even starting to answer your question.
I would like to think he's using Megabits (Mbps) per second. Although I am aware there's a lot of confusion with people thinking they are getting say 350 "Megabytes per second" (MB)

May 27, 2021
Here are my specs as well:

System Information report written at: 05/27/21 19:41:46
System Name: DESKTOP-D13AD0N
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-D13AD0N
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P3.90, 12/9/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock
BaseBoard Product B450M Pro4
BaseBoard Version
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.964"
User Name DESKTOP-D13AD0N\Tate Cowan
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 27.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 28.8 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

May 27, 2021
Are you using LAN or WiFi?

I'm on a 350mb up and 35 down service with Virgin Media. Directly connected my PC to the hub, I get full speeds both up & down. Used to suffer with terrible WiFi coverage in the house however until we recently bought an Orbi home mesh WiFi kit.

Do you have the correct, and latest, LAN drivers for your PC?
I am currently connected with an Ethernet cord that is directly connected to my router and desktop computer. I also tested with just WiFi, same results.

DSzymborski

Titan
I would like to think he's using Megabits (Mbps) per second. Although I am aware there's a lot of confusion with people thinking they are getting say 350 "Megabytes per second" (MB)

I would too, but we get a lot of people around here who report the upload speeds on Steam or their XBox and then report the "mbps" of these against the "mbps" of their ISP. It's best to try and avoid the "Who's On First?" sketch before we've spent a page or two trying to diagnose the problem.

May 26, 2021
I am currently connected with an Ethernet cord that is directly connected to my router and desktop computer. I also tested with just WiFi, same results.
Have you tried another Ethernet cable? Some ethernet cables, if all wires aren't terminated properly in the connector or they get damaged don't work to their full capability, because the wires inside work in pairs. Not getting full speed is common if one of the pairs of wires inside the Ethernet cable is either damaged, or not connected/terminated in the RJ45 connector at either one, or both ends.

May 27, 2021
Have you tried another Ethernet cable? Some ethernet cables, if all wires aren't terminated properly in the connector or they get damaged don't work to their full capability, because the wires inside work in pairs. Not getting full speed is common if one of the pairs of wires inside the Ethernet cable is either damaged, or not connected/terminated in the RJ45 connector at either one, or both ends.
I know for sure it is not the Ethernet cable because we tried the same cable on other devices and it worked like a charm.

May 26, 2021
I'm wondering if the Network card in your PC only supports up to 10 Mbps.... how old is the PC? Most of the ones even from 10+ years ago support 10/100. So you should still get up to 100Mbps before the internal network becomes a bottleneck.

May 27, 2021
I'm wondering if the Network card in your PC only supports up to 10 Mbps.... how old is the PC? Most of the ones even from 10+ years ago support 10/100. So you should still get up to 100Mbps before the internal network becomes a bottleneck.
My PC is quite new, I built it last year

May 26, 2021
Not sure how to do that, but my ping was 27ms, 20.70 Mbps download, 1.52 Mbps upload
You won't always get the full upload speed, and often not the full download either.

View: https://imgur.com/a/LJkNwiv

I'm on a 350 down and 35 up. Although i'm getting 387 down there, I'm only getting 25.61 up, nearly 10Mbps less than my maximum upload. I tried it about half hour ago and I was getting 16.5 up, less than half of my maximum. Providers are known to throttle speeds at peak times and during heavy network loads.

What doesn't make sense however is how every other device is able to achieve higher speeds, I assume consistently?

May 27, 2021
You won't always get the full upload speed, and often not the full download either.

View: https://imgur.com/a/LJkNwiv

I'm on a 350 down and 35 up. Although i'm getting 387 down there, I'm only getting 25.61 up, nearly 10Mbps less than my maximum upload. I tried it about half hour ago and I was getting 16.5 up, less than half of my maximum. Providers are known to throttle speeds at peak times and during heavy network loads.

What doesn't make sense however is how every other device is able to achieve higher speeds, I assume consistently?
Yeah my problem is that my upload speeds hit consistently around 8-9 Mbps on all other devices EXCEPT my desktop computer. I tested on my iPhone, Windows 10 Laptop, and an Android.

May 27, 2021
Did it ever work properly in this PC? And if it didn't, was this a fresh install of Windows? I'd update the BIOS as well; ASRock is up to 5.10 now.
Before this, I was at college with 50Mbps download and upload, I believe my upload speeds were quite high (don't remember them exactly). I'm trying to update the BIOS with the file extracted on my FAT32 formatted USB, but it keeps saying when I do the instant flash option that there is nothing detected.

May 26, 2021
Before this, I was at college with 50Mbps download and upload, I believe my upload speeds were quite high (don't remember them exactly). I'm trying to update the BIOS with the file extracted on my FAT32 formatted USB, but it keeps saying when I do the instant flash option that there is nothing detected.
It might be worth giving windows refresh a try. It allows you to keep your files but just checks the existing system files and re-installs any corrupted or missing ones.

TRENDING THREADS