[SOLVED] Low usage of 1660 Ti in GTA 5

Dec 2, 2019
Hello,

Recently I upgraded my computer with a GTX 1660Ti and an Ryzen 5 2600 and as it turns out on max settings in Battlefield 1 I have about 80-100 fps, but in GTA5 I have about 48-60 fps in the centre of Los Santos in an online lobby. I checked the usage of my specs and it turns out that my GPU isn't going above 40%. I haven't checked yet if Battlefield 1 is doing the same thing.
Do you have any ideas what can be causing this problem. I don't think that I'm bottlenecking because the CPU is powerfull enough.

Solution
An unsuccessful overclock doesn't really crash Windows, it will either cause the system to be unstable or it won't start at all. And yes, overclocking won't affect the usage and FPS too much, but if the current scenario is completely unplayable then overclocking could help at least a little bit. Did you try raising the voltages at 3.8 GHz? Read an overclocking guide before doing so if 3.7 is not good enough, because tampering with voltage can be harmful if not done correctly. Otherwise, stay at 3.7 GHz and work with what you've got.
What speed is your RAM running at? RAM speed can have an immense performance impact on Ryzen CPU's, especially their single core performance. BF One can use more cores, so it will deliver better performance, but GTA V is an older game and doesn't use many cores and rather relies on single core speed more, so your RAM speed could be the bottleneck here.

Dec 2, 2019
What speed is your RAM running at? RAM speed can have an immense performance impact on Ryzen CPU's, especially their single core performance. BF One can use more cores, so it will deliver better performance, but GTA V is an older game and doesn't use many cores and rather relies on single core speed more, so your RAM speed could be the bottleneck here.
My RAM is Kingston Hyper X Fury 2400mHz 24Gb, i did an XMP profile set to 2800mHz

Have you tried overclocking the CPU? A 2600 will reach 3.8-3.9 GHz easily on stock cooler I think, the R5 1600 did 3.7 without issue. This is looking like CPU bottlenecking since the GPU usage is not 100%. Try overclocking the CPU through the BIOS.

Dec 2, 2019
Have you tried overclocking the CPU? A 2600 will reach 3.8-3.9 GHz easily on stock cooler I think, the R5 1600 did 3.7 without issue. This is looking like CPU bottlenecking since the GPU usage is not 100%. Try overclocking the CPU through the BIOS.
I'm not convinced that it is a cpu bottleneck because in other games everything is fine. GPU is working as intended at 70-80%. GTA 5 is the only game that does this and the GPU rarely goes above 30%. Today I tried overclocking but I read that my motherboard doesn't support it. It's aourus b450m, and when i tried it when it rebooted there was a beep three times and it didn't start till the third time that i pressed tge button so I reseted it to auto. I got scared but I'll try again because my GPU is overclocked and my RAM is overclocked and that beeping was normal.

I'm not convinced that it is a cpu bottleneck because in other games everything is fine. GPU is working as intended at 70-80%. GTA 5 is the only game that does this and the GPU rarely goes above 30%. Today I tried overclocking but I read that my motherboard doesn't support it. It's aourus b450m, and when i tried it when it rebooted there was a beep three times and it didn't start till the third time that i pressed tge button so I reseted it to auto. I got scared but I'll try again because my GPU is overclocked and my RAM is overclocked and that beeping was normal.
Well, every game utilizes CPU threads differently, and GTA V being an old game, it is very likely that the low GPU usage is because GTA V doesn't use all the cores of your system and relies more on the clock speed, which is why the CPU becomes a bottleneck. All B450 motherboards support overclocking, don't know where you read that it doesn't, though how much of an overclock is viable will depend, among other things, on the quality of components on the motherboard. You c an set the CPU multiplier to 37 without a doubt, first gen Ryzen did that on stock cooling no issues, and second gen will do at least that or better only, so it's a good starting point.

Dec 2, 2019
Well, every game utilizes CPU threads differently, and GTA V being an old game, it is very likely that the low GPU usage is because GTA V doesn't use all the cores of your system and relies more on the clock speed, which is why the CPU becomes a bottleneck. All B450 motherboards support overclocking, don't know where you read that it doesn't, though how much of an overclock is viable will depend, among other things, on the quality of components on the motherboard. You c an set the CPU multiplier to 37 without a doubt, first gen Ryzen did that on stock cooling no issues, and second gen will do at least that or better only, so it's a good starting point.
Sooo, what I've found is that the maximum core speed is from 3.4 to 3.7. When is above or 3.8 or 3.9 the PC doesn't load at all. At 3.9 it just stopped at the windows 10 loading black screen, and on 3.8 it said that windows had crashed apparently. There was a slight increase at fps in GTA 5 but still the GPU usage is rarely above 30%.

An unsuccessful overclock doesn't really crash Windows, it will either cause the system to be unstable or it won't start at all. And yes, overclocking won't affect the usage and FPS too much, but if the current scenario is completely unplayable then overclocking could help at least a little bit. Did you try raising the voltages at 3.8 GHz? Read an overclocking guide before doing so if 3.7 is not good enough, because tampering with voltage can be harmful if not done correctly. Otherwise, stay at 3.7 GHz and work with what you've got.

Solution
Dec 2, 2019
I'll see what i can do about it. Thanks!