Low video game fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellendross1023

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
So I recently bought a Radeon HD5570. My problem now is The Witcher 2 , and bfbc2 run at about 20-30fps no matter what settings I put the graphics at. I have tried to reinstall the drivers about three times, tried to clean out with Ccleaner. Can anyone help?

Computer specs:

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (3.4GHz) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

3GB RAM

Asus 890FX Deluxe5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157248&Tpk=asrock%20890fx%20deluxe5

Windows7

Solution
^That.

Also, I'm guessing you upgraded from something? Simply reinstalling isn't necessarily enough. Instead, completely uninstall all old video drivers (ATI and if applicable, Nvidia) and even run Driver Sweeper to clean them out fully. After that, restart and install the latest drivers.

You might also want to download MSI Afterburner as it is great for monitoring your hardware. It might be that the clocks aren't coming out of idle, or maybe it's just maxed out. Try gaming with your task manager (performance tab) and MSI running and after a few minutes alt-tab out and see what the graphs are showing you. High CPU? High GPU? Low clocks?
^That.

Also, I'm guessing you upgraded from something? Simply reinstalling isn't necessarily enough. Instead, completely uninstall all old video drivers (ATI and if applicable, Nvidia) and even run Driver Sweeper to clean them out fully. After that, restart and install the latest drivers.

You might also want to download MSI Afterburner as it is great for monitoring your hardware. It might be that the clocks aren't coming out of idle, or maybe it's just maxed out. Try gaming with your task manager (performance tab) and MSI running and after a few minutes alt-tab out and see what the graphs are showing you. High CPU? High GPU? Low clocks?

Solution
Black bars huh? Could be the 9800 dying, or it could have just been a glitch with those drivers. Anyway yeah, the 5570 is a bit of a downgrade, so expecting it to preform better in games where the 9800GTX struggles isn't going to make it better. I think you're card simply can't take it. Now I'm sure that the card is just being bogged down and while 15FPS is 50% faster than 10FPS, both still suck for gaming :D.

If it's not too late you should consider returning it and buying something with more beef like a 5770. A 5570 is really meant to be a multimedia card not a gaming card.

Also, you sometimes get bad FPS if your PSU isn't able to give it enough power.

And finally, give what I suggested a try.

Kellendross1023

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Did what you said wolfram and it helped out a lot but as everyone said, its a bad card. This was the only time I didn't do my research and it shows. I would like to thank everyone for their help and next time ill do some research. Hopefully I can return it but not sure looking into that now. This time im going to spend more than $100 and research.

Uh I really hope "6970" was a typo! I doubt he's going to spend $400 on a GPU.

A 5770 might not be a huge upgrade over a 9800GT but it is a great card for the price. 6850, 6870, 550 Ti, and 560 (non Ti) are all decent cards and should be around that price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.