[SOLVED] Lower fps in some games after GPU upgrade?

Feb 25, 2020
CPU: Intel i5 2500 3.3 Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 sandy bridge
Ram: 8 GB DDR3
SSD/HDD: ADATA SSD S510 120 GB, WD10EALX 1TB HDD
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3Gb OC
PSU: RS-650-ACAA-E3 CoolerMaster 12V
Chassis: idk
(edited)

When I upgraded from a GTX 460 to the GTX 1060, all of my source games (which are more CPU intensive) (insurgency,l4d2,csgo,gmod,...) recieved a significant fps lowering. All went from average above the 120s to averaging 90 on the same settings. Could the stronger gpu be bottlenecking the CPU more than the old card? Or could the CPU be dying as its about 8 years old about this point? Great FPS on games like DOOM 16 (max settings), Outlast 2, The forest, Call of duty BO2 350 fps on max settings.

Last edited:
Solution
CPU bottleneck. since you can't OC your CPU i don't think there is anything you can do anymore....unless you wiling to get used K series processor. those sandy is quite a monster once overclocked. my older 2500K can easily get 4.5Ghz with little tuning. to this date still my best CPU purchase and i don't even want to sell it lol.

Lutfij

Titan
Model for your Coolermaster PSU? 650 is only it's wattage. Also, how old is the PSU? Did you use DDU to uninstall your AMD GPU drivers prior to removing the card and then repopulating with the GTX1060 GPU? You will need to source the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site.

You should ideally list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Feb 25, 2020
I edited the information, should be more useful now. Also, I never had an AMD card but I did use DDU to wipe the old drivers when upgrading. I downloaded latest nvidia drivers, tried fiddling with nvidia settings, stopping other useless programs, defraging, updating sound drivers, virus check, hard disk seems fine. Side note: I recently got a sudden fps decrease on those same games (about 15 lower on avg) with weird microstutter. Guessing thats just because I havent wiped my pc in like 4 years now.

CPU bottleneck. since you can't OC your CPU i don't think there is anything you can do anymore....unless you wiling to get used K series processor. those sandy is quite a monster once overclocked. my older 2500K can easily get 4.5Ghz with little tuning. to this date still my best CPU purchase and i don't even want to sell it lol.

Solution