[SOLVED] Lower FPS in some games after GPU upgrade

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Hello. I upgraded from an RX 580 to an RTX 3070. I have a Ryzen 5 3600, EVGA G1 650W PSU, 16GB 3600Mhz cl16 Ram, Gigabyte B450 Auros pro Wifi, 1 TB 860 EVO, 1 TB WD Blue 7200rpm HDD, and 1080p 144Hz monitor. I used DDU in safe mode to uninstall AMD, then installed latest Nvidia drivers.

While some games like Overwatch and Fortnite gives me higher FPS, some are lower. My RX 580 would get 144FPS easily in minecraft, but I can all of a sudden only get 90. I can get 120FPS if I turn down settings to lower than with the RX 580. I also went from 75 FPS to 50 FPS in GTA V. I made my settings even lower than the RX 580 settings, but it is running worse than the RX580. I tried using same settings as Youtube tests or even lower, but they get around 110 FPS with exact same CPU and GPU as me while I only get 50. Destiny 2 only gives me 90 FPS when I should be getting around 120.

I closed everything running and checked my temps. My temps are great at only ~60C on the CPU and GPU. My monitor and the game settings are not capped. I tried reinstalling drivers and changing the settings around. I am on high performance in Windows. I have all the latest drivers and updates including chipset. I did a clean reinstall of them. It is on the SSD. I have XMP enabled. I have 200Mb internet. I verified integrity of GTA V in steam. I also tried disabling Windows Game mode. What else can I check?

Reactions: tomaslogii
Solution
You have high background CPU usage while you ran the userbenchmark. Close everything that is not needed and try again.

You might be pushing your PSU close to it's limits. Although a good and reliable PSU, 3000 series are known to have huge power spikes that trip even some of the best.

Run a malwarebytes scan to make sure you have no malware, adware, pup in the system.

The other thing you need to consider is that 3000 series(except maybe 3060 Ti) and 1080p do not match well. There are tons of threads in this forum with "low fps 3080", "underperforming 3090", "is my 3070 faulty" and almost all are at 1080p. I have also heard that they do have a driver issue as well but I haven't dig into it yet.

tomaslogii

Prominent
Dec 31, 2020
Same thing happening here, got a RTX 3060ti upgrade from a GTX 1660. I have a i5 9400fand my cpu usage is getting 100% and not budging whilst my gpu usage is barely reaching 20%

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Do you have the latest motherboard's BIOS installed?
Have you tried another GPU driver version?
How old is the PSU?
Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here please.
Thank you for your reply.
I do have latest BIOS.
I have tried 2 driver versions.
The EVGA G1 650W PSU is from late 2015 or mid 2016, so it is 4 ish years old.

Here are some benchmarks.
Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI Performance Results - UserBenchmark
It says not performing as expected on some.
View: https://imgur.com/L7eyzOZ

Passmark Rating 5647.4 75th percentile
CPU Mark 16162.6 76th percentile
2D graphics 791.0 69th percentile
3D graphics 20934.8 98th percentile
Memory Mark 3073 .4 77th percentile
Diskmark 4699.3 50th percentile

Cinebench got 8378 multicore.

You have high background CPU usage while you ran the userbenchmark. Close everything that is not needed and try again.

You might be pushing your PSU close to it's limits. Although a good and reliable PSU, 3000 series are known to have huge power spikes that trip even some of the best.

Run a malwarebytes scan to make sure you have no malware, adware, pup in the system.

The other thing you need to consider is that 3000 series(except maybe 3060 Ti) and 1080p do not match well. There are tons of threads in this forum with "low fps 3080", "underperforming 3090", "is my 3070 faulty" and almost all are at 1080p. I have also heard that they do have a driver issue as well but I haven't dig into it yet.

Solution
Jan 5, 2021
I was running into a similar situation as you only in certain game titles and believe I have fixed it. I think the issue is tied to Nvidia's GeForce Experience "Optimize all games" feature. Not sure if you have used this feature, but check out my previous post below to see what I did to fix it.

Hope it works for you.

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019

Thank you for your reply. I did it again closing everything possible. I had 1% CPU usage before I closed task manager and ran the benchmark. It did not say the high CPU Usage this time, but it does still say it is performing below expectations for CPU, GPU, and one HDD. Here are the results.

I do not have any malware after running a scan. What should I do? Should I get a new more powerful PSU? My PSU is the bare minimum for this GPU. Could it have degraded after 4 years while it has a 10 year warranty? Should I reinstall windows? I did DDU when changing graphics. Is this just to be expected since I have 1080p. Also, I do not understand how it can bottleneck at 1080p but not higher resolutions? What would be the bottleneck in this case? Why would it perform badly in 1080p but not 1440p or 4k since those are harder to render? Should I wait and see if a better driver comes? Why would it have worse performance than the RX 580 in some cases which is not nearly as good? Thank you.

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
Thank you for your reply. I did it again closing everything possible. I had 1% CPU usage before I closed task manager and ran the benchmark. It did not say the high CPU Usage this time, but it does still say it is performing below expectations for CPU, GPU, and one HDD. Here are the results.

I do not have any malware after running a scan. What should I do? Should I get a new more powerful PSU? My PSU is the bare minimum for this GPU. Could it have degraded after 4 years while it has a 10 year warranty? Should I reinstall windows? I did DDU when changing graphics. Is this just to be expected since I have 1080p. Also, I do not understand how it can bottleneck at 1080p but not higher resolutions? What would be the bottleneck in this case? Why would it perform badly in 1080p but not 1440p or 4k since those are harder to render? Should I wait and see if a better driver comes? Why would it have worse performance than the RX 580 in some cases which is not nearly as good? Thank you.
Have you found the answer? I have the same problem and Ive done everything. PSU, drivers, Chipset, benhmarks, power manangent, ETC.