Mar 3, 2019
Hey guys,

Here's my build:
GTX 1080 Windforce OC
Ryzen 5 1600
8 gigs of DDR4 2400MHz corsair vengeance
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
60Hz monitor (1080p)
SSD Intel 540s Series 240GB SATA-III M.2 2280 (though the games run on my WD BLUE 7200rpm HDD.

So my pc was a beast a while ago (it's one and a half years old now) and I had been cleaning it since then.

I re-applied cooling paste last week ( a very high quality one ), cleaned it for dust and so on.

I am having like 70-100 FPS in LoL, and I used to have at least 180 constantly (based on nvidia experience's FPS meter).

Between 80-100 in CSGO, 60+ in PUBG (medium graphics).

40-60 fps in Ring of Elysium (high graphics)

Metro exodus 50-70 fps (high graphics)

I DO have the lastest drivers for everything, 100%.

I re-installed windows 10 not long ago..

I surely don't have any programs running in the background that eat my resources, the usage is NEVER 80% or more.

I believe it is one (or more components) doing this, and I would like to find out which one exactly.

Thanks a lot!

Mar 3, 2019
I've always been cleaning it of dust, as for the cooling paste, this is the first time I changed it - my current temps are 46 degrees, 5 chrome tabs open, Lol client, viber, discord, blitz and some more background programs.

What temperatures are you currently reaching under loads? CPU and GPU.
So basically you started getting lower FPS - THEN started cleaning?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What are CPU AND GPU temps under load? I'm assuming the 46 degrees is the CPU?
Do you have any background processes taking up resources? When you say overall usage is 80% - really you'd need to know the individual core usage to identify if there is a bottleneck anywhere. Equally a malware scan never hurts at this point.
Was there any particular point you notices the FPS drops - anything changed? Graphics settings, drivers etc?

Mar 3, 2019
Thanks for the reply.

Temperatures under load:
CPU - between 60 and 70 very max
GPU - around 70 (+ - 5)

I doubt that it'd be a bottleneck since my CPU sould be able to run LoL and other games easily over 100 fps.

Also, if it had been running well in the past, it's not a bottleneck (I guess).

Could the RAM memory reduce the FPS that badly?

Truth is, my memory had been purchased as dual channel (2x8gb) but I had to remove one of them since the pc was not booting... so could it be the ram although it doesnt reach 100% usage?

Thanks

EDIT: it got to a lower performance over time, and it cannot be a malware, since i formatted both the hdd and the ssd and reparitioned them last week.

What are CPU AND GPU temps under load? I'm assuming the 46 degrees is the CPU?
Do you have any background processes taking up resources? When you say overall usage is 80% - really you'd need to know the individual core usage to identify if there is a bottleneck anywhere. Equally a malware scan never hurts at this point.
Was there any particular point you notices the FPS drops - anything changed? Graphics settings, drivers etc?

Mar 3, 2019
Thanks!

Here we go:

14 766
Graphics - 21 012 (99.50/84.45 fps)
Physics - 13 687 (43.45fps)
Combined 4747 (22fps)

What does this tell us ?

EDIT: on that list, GTX 1080 is on the 12th place with 21990 points. Am I really 8k under or is it comparing the graphics score only? that is just only 1k under.

First, let's establish that your GPU actually underperforms.

Download 3D Mark Firestrike, run it, and then post the GRAPHICS SCORE here.

A comparison with the board below

https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/best-gpus?redirected=true

will show with certainty if your system underperforms or not.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You said you have latest drivers for everything on a relatively new windows.

Does that mean you actually went to the motherboard website and updated the bios and all the motherboard chipset drivers after or before the windows reset? Or done at all?

Cpu sets the fps limit. Gpu deals with resolution and detail settings. So you get 80-100fps in CSGO on medium settings. Bump that to ultra play a little, drop to low and play a little.

If the fps changes drastically between low-med-ultra then the issue is with the gpu, it's getting bogged down by more intensive detailing. If the fps doesn't really change much at all then the issue is with the cpu, it's capping at a lower than expected fps.

I7-3770K and gtx970 gets me solid 300fps in CSGO at ultra settings 1080p. Absolutely no reason why a 1600 and 1080 should be getting less. If 80-100 was what you got prior, you have other issues and considering that gpu is well capable of over 500fps in CSGO, I'd be looking to the cpu as an issue.

It's a Ryzen, bios updates are necessary, current chipset drivers are important (not just the gpu) as they get messed with with every new Windows update.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
You caught me on that. Didn't even think about the bios.

I actually tried updating it like 2 weeks ago but I couldn't, I don't rember why.

I guess it had some weird format and I couldn't run it, neither boot it from a USB. It was something similar anyway.

The chipset driver is up to date, I used iobit's driver updater to update them, and the windows updates are automatic, so that also installed dx and whatever else is needed I guess.

How important is that bios update anyway?

You said you have latest drivers for everything on a relatively new windows.

Does that mean you actually went to the motherboard website and updated the bios and all the motherboard chipset drivers after or before the windows reset? Or done at all?

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Thanks!

Here we go:

14 766
Graphics - 21 012 (99.50/84.45 fps)
Physics - 13 687 (43.45fps)
Combined 4747 (22fps)

What does this tell us ?

EDIT: on that list, GTX 1080 is on the 12th place with 21990 points. Am I really 8k under or is it comparing the graphics score only? that is just only 1k under.

Ok so your GTX 1080 performs slightly worse than average at 96% of the average score.

This is just fine so I don't think there's anything wrong with your GPU.

You should:

1. Overclock your CPU bc it is bottlenecking your card
  2. Open Power Settings, set to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE or similar, run Fire Strike again and enjoy the score improvement.
When you game, be sure to set the power setting to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bios updates on 1st gen Ryzen are very important. They contain any and all bug fixes, tweaks, performance enhancements etc. This especially applies to ram usage since Ryzen infinity fabric (Ryzen version of hyperthreading) is intimately tied to ram. With your system you shouldn't be having any issues at all getting @ 300fps in CSGO at ultra, but you are under 100ish. Something is holding back that cpu.

MSI website has directions you should follow exactly for updating the bios. And I mean exactly. It's not like downloading a driver or app and installing.

Reactions: PC Tailor

nick_v15

Prominent
BANNED
Jan 7, 2018
Ok so your GTX 1080 performs slightly worse than average at 96% of the average score.

This is just fine so I don't think there's anything wrong with your GPU.

You should:

1. Overclock your CPU bc it is bottlenecking your card
  2. Open Power Settings, set to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE or similar, run Fire Strike again and enjoy the score improvement.
When you game, be sure to set the power setting to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.
Please dont do all that.It has nothing to do with your prob.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Even though the game files are on hdd, the OS is on ssd as are all the drivers and other relavent files and most probably any saved games as well. This'll mean the games are cached on the ssd when you open them, they are opened through windows. The games themselves will run at ssd speeds after the primary load puts them into the cache. Initial map loads on CSGO might take a few seconds longer, but after the first load puts those files into ssd cache, they are there until replaced. The only way op will see a drastic drop in fps is if the ssd is packed full, with less than @10-20% free space. This'll mean serious lag times as the ssd has to read/write and organize files by priority.

Reactions: George1554
Mar 3, 2019
Well, the SSD is 240 gigs and it is only half packed.. so that shouldn't be a problem.

To me, it seems that the best thing i can do now is update BIOS, thanks for recommending me that.

Overclocking is not an option since if it used to run well without overclocking, it still should imo.

EDIT: after the BIOS update my BIOS startup time decreased from 22-25 sec to 10.4. This feels motivating. Will be back with some more info after I tested it out.

EDIT2: the BIOS update helped a lot, i got like +30/40 frames. Still not the results that a GTX1080 and a ryzen 5 could achieve.. Any more ideas guys?

Even though the game files are on hdd, the OS is on ssd as are all the drivers and other relavent files and most probably any saved games as well. This'll mean the games are cached on the ssd when you open them, they are opened through windows. The games themselves will run at ssd speeds after the primary load puts them into the cache. Initial map loads on CSGO might take a few seconds longer, but after the first load puts those files into ssd cache, they are there until replaced. The only way op will see a drastic drop in fps is if the ssd is packed full, with less than @10-20% free space. This'll mean serious lag times as the ssd has to read/write and organize files by priority.

Mar 3, 2019
What port is the ssd in. Usually for best results it should be in the Intel ports, usually 0-1, not the ASmedia or Marvell ports which are the last 2
Not sure about that. It is located right under the video card. It's that RAM looking type, forgot what it's called. M2 maybe?

Edit: it is in A2 already. I activated game mode from bios which is +200 MHz and I set the A-XMP on option number 2(which says ddr4 2400 MHz 16-16-16-39).

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
M.2, so yeah lol that's in the right spot.
And the cpu is hitting the frequency it should? All ram accounted for? I can't help but think I'm missing something that's probably quite obvious. That cpu is well capable of higher fps than what's showing.
Oh wait. Ram. You took out 1 stick. The remaining single stick should be in slot A2, ram position is somewhat important to Ryzens. And yes, they do definitely work better with dual channel, and high speed ram. There's @ 20% cpu performance difference between 2133 and 3200MHz. Ryzen infinity fabric (amd version of hyperthreading) is intimately tied to ram speeds. Slow ram and single channel could account for some performance loss, exactly how much I dunno, you'd have to get a second matching stick back in there to tell.

Mar 3, 2019
M.2, so yeah lol that's in the right spot.
And the cpu is hitting the frequency it should? All ram accounted for? I can't help but think I'm missing something that's probably quite obvious. That cpu is well capable of higher fps than what's showing.
Oh wait. Ram. You took out 1 stick. The remaining single stick should be in slot A2, ram position is somewhat important to Ryzens. And yes, they do definitely work better with dual channel, and high speed ram. There's @ 20% cpu performance difference between 2133 and 3200MHz. Ryzen infinity fabric (amd version of hyperthreading) is intimately tied to ram speeds. Slow ram and single channel could account for some performance loss, exactly how much I dunno, you'd have to get a second matching stick back in there to tell.

Alright, I'll try placing the memory into the a2 slot. Which one is that more exactly?

Got it, so it is already in the a2 slot. After turning in game mode which adds 200 mhz to the processor my fan is at 2600 rpm, and normally it is at 8-900. Once I turn on the smart fan it goes down to 8-900 rpm again.

Also I turned on the x-amp profile 2 which is 2400 MHz, just to make sure it's running at 2400 MHz.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
So, one of my friends who has a 6000 benchmark processor and 8 gb DDR3 just bought a 1060 6gb, and he's got between 220-280 FPS in league. Almost doubles my frames. I am really going insane. Please help me out here guys, what component might be the problem ?

Motherboard? RAM ?

PS: Gaming mode in BIOS did not help with the frames. No performance increase at all