Question Lower than average performance on RTX 2070

Jun 4, 2019
Hey all,

Back in January, I put together a new rig since my old one was pretty outdated. I settled for an RTX 2070 / i7 9700K combo for 1440p gaming, and the problems started pretty early.
The GPU was struggling to render modern games at a decent FPS, consistently scoring 10 fps lower than the average benchmarks found on gpucheck and review sites despite keeping a stable clock and a nearly constant 98% utilisation. Over time, this performance has degraded, with drops of 20-30 fps below average under heavy load.
The CPU, on the other hand, is hardly ever fully utilised, and both seem to get enough power to operate properly.
Temperatures, similarily, seem to be alright, hitting a stable 60 degrees celsius on the GPU and an average 55 celsius on the CPU, occasionally hitting 70 under a heavier load.

My specs are as listed:
CPU: Intel i7-9700k
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z
Motherboard: Aorus Z390 Ultra
PSU: EVGA 750 G3
RAM: Corsair 8GB 3000mhz DDR4 (4 sticks)

I have no clue what's causing this poor performance, nor what to even look for that might be causing it. Being pretty tech-illiterate, trying to figure out what's wrong is an exercise in frustration, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

It can be a lot of things, really. Plus, you always have to keep in mind that Benchmarks are: 1. laboratory conditions and 2. a one time snapshot (unless they re-visit results). Your PC get Windows Updates and driver updates that usually degrade performance over time.

Now, that being said, I need a comparison point and specific games you're having issues with, as a wide brush answer may not be what you need. Specially with your system being fairly new.

Also, just to confirm, that is 32GB total RAM, right? You mean 8GB per stick, correct?

Cheers!

Jun 4, 2019
I understand that, yet even considering that they're lab conditions, most of them get higher framerates on ultra than I do on medium-high settings. I'm currently on windows version 1809, with nvidia geforce game ready drivers 430.86.

Games that my PC struggles with in particular are Monster Hunter World and Kingdom Come Deliverance, both of which have severe frame drops (down to 40 fps in during certain monster fights in MHW and around campfire locations with +3 people around in KC: D). Yet even Overwatch, a game released in 2016, sometimes drops to mid-80 FPS on Ultra in teamfights (This might seem like it isn't a big deal, but I haven't seen a bench that drops under 110 FPS on the same settings.)

And yes, I meant 8GB per stick, so 32gb total. I apologise for not clarifying.

I understand that, yet even considering that they're lab conditions, most of them get higher framerates on ultra than I do on medium-high settings. I'm currently on windows version 1809, with nvidia geforce game ready drivers 430.86.

Games that my PC struggles with in particular are Monster Hunter World and Kingdom Come Deliverance, both of which have severe frame drops (down to 40 fps in during certain monster fights in MHW and around campfire locations with +3 people around in KC: D). Yet even Overwatch, a game released in 2016, sometimes drops to mid-80 FPS on Ultra in teamfights (This might seem like it isn't a big deal, but I haven't seen a bench that drops under 110 FPS on the same settings.)

And yes, I meant 8GB per stick, so 32gb total. I apologise for not clarifying.
Ah, the interesting world of online play and framerates...

Well, it is no secret MHW has had a really problematic start with optimizations as it was reported early on. I have no idea where you got your reference numbers from, to compare, but drops, specially in crowded or heavy action areas are not uncommon at all. I don't know Kingdom Come Deliverance, but I do know Overwatch and depending on the map and actions happening, you can see big FPS drops.

Also, the year has nothing to do with how the game was optimized (or not) for certain combinations of hardware. I'm still playing Guild Wars 2, for example, and in open areas, with not much action, I never drop from say, 60, 80 FPS depending on world effects, but when I go to it's "world versus world" mode and 2 30+ people groups face each other, I get 10FPS dips at times, depending on skills cast, amount of players and network.

I don't want to minimize your perception, but I believe you also need to curve your expectations. Specially with online games, as "lab conditions" are really punishing with them (EDIT: as in, you won't ever get the same situations as benchmarked; different from a closed time loop, for instance).

Cheers!