Question Lower than expected FPS and intermittent lag with a 3070 Ti ?

Jan 13, 2023
As the title states, i feel as though i'm getting lower FPS than my system should be seeing while playing mainly rust. I replaced my 1060 3gb with a 3070ti, and jumped from 40-60fps to 60-80fps. Along with this at times i'll wind up with insane lag spikes after a few hours online, eventually dropping down to 1 or less. system monitors show gpu and cpu consistently in the 40-50% load range, with the only throttling gpu side being power limit. historically i did not have any discernable performance dropoffs with the 1060 installed, so i'm not sure what, if any, issue i may be having there. unsure whether i set my bar too high for this 3070 or if there actually is a problem!

Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI Performance Results - UserBenchmark

psu is a corsair rm850x

thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer to observe the details of system performance. First when not gaming and second while gaming as usual.

Observe via all three tools but use only one tool at a time. Leave the tool window open and drag to one side (or a second monitor) so the window can be seen.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free):

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Objective is to discover what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. May or may not be being launched at startup. Possibly triggered later via Task Scheduler.

Jan 13, 2023
if you're looking for more information than what's included in the benchmark you'll have to be specific as i wouldnt have a clue what else you need! lol.

as far as the PSU, it was bought NIB with the 3070ti, and at this time would be about 7 months in age, with probably 3/4 idle time and 1/4 gaming time.

using task manager/resource monitor/process explorer only leads me to one thing that seems odd (to me) that the VRAM generally stays maxed on usage with no corresponding gpu load increase. RAM usage maintains at 17-22GB most of which is being used by rust and the system, with the next closest competitors in the 2-300MB range (discord, battlemetrics, spotify)

cpu usage tops out around 40% through most gaming with temps stable in the 65-72*c range via ryzen master

as far as startup programs i do keep a close eye on those and try to keep that list to system things only unless it's something i'm using EVERY time the pc is on.

Jan 13, 2023
Another note i've noticed today, while gaming this GPU will not exceed roughly 160w total consumption. from the reading i've done, it seems i should be expecting somewhere in the ballpark of 280-290 with a 3070ti. All power settings that i'm aware of are set to high performance in the windows/geforce settings

Remember that posted benchmarks/videos of gaming FPS scores are usually the top .1%. They are not the norm - they are the outlier.
No one's going to post 'meh' benchmarks/gaming FPS videos. Benchers/reviewers tweak, bench, tweak, bench, tweak, bench, etc., until they get a score that they deem 'worthy' and only then does it gets posted. These are usually people who work with technology for a living and know the ins and outs of settings and components. Many of them also know how to 'cheat' the system by running the benchmarks with unrealistic settings. They change everything from CPU priority, to benchmark config changes, to doing borderless/alt tab crap. In short, don't worry about hitting published benchmark/FPS numbers.