Question Lowering windows resolution to see better on my big screen, but still want to play games in 4k

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Hi guys,

I have a large 65 inch 4k TV that I use as my monitor. I do editing, gaming, surfing, work, etc. and I love it.

However, when I set the desktop resolution to 4k, all windows and apps and programs become too small to see. Win11 has a scaling feature to where I was able to scale my icons and folder windows 200% to where its comfortable for my eyes. However, still some older programs such as Inkscape, or X-Plane 11 do not scale and remain too tiny to see.

For programs like inkscape, can I set my desktop resolution to 2k or 1080, but still play my games at 4k automatically, or when setting the desktop resolution, are all programs and games now based on a 1080 platform? This includes 4k videos on youtube. Will these 4k videos be limited to 1080 due to my desktop setting being 1080?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
if you set 1080p desktop, then 4k youtube videos wont be at 4k, same applies to if you use 4k desktop with 200% scaling, that will also reduce youtube resolution
you can check by how much in youtube stats for nerds
Wow, I did not know that. Is this the same for games? So if I have my desktop set to 1080 on my 4k TV, but then use X-Plane and in the settings set 4k, will I be getting 4k in the game?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, my experience is that you can set your desktop at 1080 and games options still avail the +resolution (monitor capable) settings while in menu. My own system typically just offers to restart the game to apply that setting. I find that this same situation is true in such as YT...

Of course, with this said, I don't have some setting on Afterburner that shows this to be so aside from framerate and temps....