Question LPDDR5 in a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkC1970

Reputable
Jan 4, 2020
I am deciding which laptop to purchase and most have DDR5 4800 or 5200. However, a Lenovo unit uses LPDDR5 6400. The problem is that I am not sure if this is good or bad, the frequency is higher but the bus width appears to be lower, does this mean it has a lower bandwidth/speed than standard DDR5?

I have spoken the Lenovo and they haven't got a clue. I would prefer this Lenovo machine but I don't want to buy it and find out later that it has an issue. The big brother to it is the Legion and that laptop uses normal DDR5, this makes me suspect this ram is a cheaper option for a cheaper machine but I am really not sure. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/500-series/IdeaPad-5-Pro-Gen-7-16%E2%80%B3-AMD/p/LEN101I0049

MarkC1970

Reputable
Jan 4, 2020
LP stands for low power. DRAM frequency and voltage is the main difference between them.
LPDDR5 6400 obviously has higher bandwidth than DDR5 4800 or 5200.

Thanks for the comment. My concern is the LPDDR5 bus is only 16 or 32 bit (not sure which is in the Lenovo) and standard DDR 5 has a 64 bit bus. Does the extra clock speed make up for the smaller bus width? There is next to no information online and everything seems to point to LPDDR5 going into smartphones etc and not laptops.

MarkC1970

Reputable
Jan 4, 2020
I purchased the Dell 7620 because it had normal DDR5 in dual channel mode. I am still curious into LPDDR5 memory and if anyone has a good explanation of the pros and cons of it I would like t read it. Cheers.

I purchased the Dell 7620 because it had normal DDR5 in dual channel mode. I am still curious into LPDDR5 memory and if anyone has a good explanation of the pros and cons of it I would like t read it. Cheers.
It's new.

It's the next gen of ram.

It's the way the industry is going.

Kind of expensive stuff now but as time goes on the price should come down and the perf might improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.