LSI Launches $11,500 SSD, Crushes Other SSDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
The new Revodrive x2 is almost half -- 40% -- as good.

OCZ list read/write of 740/720MB/s (the original was 540/480MB/s) and sustained write of 600MB/s (vs. 400MB/s), 4KB aligned IOPS at 100,000 (vs. 75k on the original).

100, 160, 240, 360, 480 and 960GB.

40% of the performance for 4% of the price. Ten times the value.

cheddarlump

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
This is exceptional price/performance for a low power database server. If you're running an I/O intensive DB, usually the storage space isn't the limitation, but the I/O is. This is still cheaper than 300 GB of RAM, and you don't need piles of fibre channel cards, switches, and SAN racks to get the I/O performance. Hell, you could throw this in a nice 2U box with 4 x 6-core xeons, 192GB ram, and outperform a datacenter from a year ago. Besides, when you get to the enterprise level for I/O performance, the price of this is nothing compared to the software cost..

planchero

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
So how long for the lawsuit over
WarpDrive
Will it be one of those that they sue over right away or are they going to let it stay on the market a while then do the old let’s take all the earning they have made. Only time can tell.

Mikez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
[citation][nom]ScrewySqrl[/nom]holy smokes.a hard drive as expensive as a car!for whom is this cost effective?[/citation]
FaceBook.

G

Wouldn't a RAM drive be cheaper and faster? They have servers with 128GB+ of RAM!

This may work well for some very specific applications, maybe a biotech workstation, medical research, particle coliders that need very fast data manipulation. There is no way in hell this will go into an enterprise data storage system. I'd like to see who will buy this and where it will be used. The power savings this will give are a sales check mark, if you have 300gig of storage, you have maybe 2-3 drives not 400. If you need hundreds of drives to store your data, you will need hundreds of these cards to match it, meaning power goes up, storage needs go up, in fact, how on earth can you even add more than a few of these in a server, there are no NAS/SAN devices that are a bunch of PCIe slots. You'd need a sever for every 2-3 of these, and there goes your power savings.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]brando56894[/nom]I guess if you run the warpdrive(s) 24/7 for years, the cost of power and cooling would be significantly less than powering and cooling ~400 HDDs. In the short run it is extremely expensive but in the long run is where it would shine.
Microsoft, Google, Facebook, etc... essentially any mutli million or billion dollar corporation that stores craploads of data. Yes outright they cost WAY more than a typical 3TB so you would need to buy 10x more of the SSDs to equal the same capacity as a HDD but as I stated above: think about the amount of energy that it takes over the years to cool all the HDDs and to power them. once you factor that it in makes a difference.[/citation]
except it is 300 gigs... so you still need the 400 HDD for storage.

I would LOVE to have one of these in my machine, I will wait for it to be $250... 2015 maybe. I have been eyeing up a revo2 lately, can snag one for 400 bucks.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
screw this , they got 1 tetra byte card based SDD's that cost half this or less at new egg , why teh hell wouldi want to opya this much for a 300 gig ssd , seriously even fi youar e rich jsut get teh 1 tbyte drives i've seen for 4000-5000 bucks

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
400 Hard drive equals a potential of 400-800 Terabytes of storage space. At aprox 80000$ just for the hard drives at 200$ each. Then factor in the rack unit costs wich is who knows how much I gues probably at least 40,000 bucks in rack hardware without os licence fees. So when comparing price to performance this little circuit board definily takes the cake hands down. BUT it's 300 gigs of capacity blows for that price. It's my hope that SSD can reach traditional Hard drive capacitys and price ranges while maintaing or improve their already amazing performance. Is this to much to ask for somtime in the next 10 years?

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
even HDDs dont get straight storage output, they get RAIDed for better performance and safety. Pair this with 2 HDDs and you get max performance + safety for the buck

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Has anyone gotten a sample to test in the "will it blend" demonstration purposes. Most sane people will not pay such a high price for only 300gb of fast as **** ramdrive-- with cards like this, it shoudn't be a problem to create a motherboard that can utilize the card as sytem memory.

sheepherd

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]I have issue with the name. What happens when we really do get a warp drive in our pc's that can transport us to other places. The name is already taken, now what smart asses? The ludicrous speed drive?...does not roll off the tongue very well.[/citation]

made my day! :D

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
It's not about space guys, it's about non-volitile speed. I would be happy to spend 10k for a tempdb drive or a log volume on any one of my database servers.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
It's not entirely a "local only" drive. You'd need a 10 gbps fiber connection to not bottleneck it, but it's possible to dish this out to multiple clients. Come to think of it, I can't

Big "WTF" though is simply 300 GB. Any half-smart IT guy would just buy a dozen normal SSDs if they needed speed, efficiency, space, and cost justification.

G

This has exactly one application where it makes absolut perfect sense and is worth every penny ten-fold: Write IO-heavy database servers. Put all your IO-heavy tables, indexes, logs onto this thing and the static crap on conventional Disks and you just improved your performance 100 fold. Forget the 300GB, it's not about that, forget the sequential Read/Write Speeds. the 200'000 random 4k-write IOPS is what defines this baby!!!! That's almost 800MB/s for random 4k write performance. Insanity!

robisinho

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]The new Revodrive x2 is almost half -- 40% -- as good.OCZ list read/write of 740/720MB/s (the original was 540/480MB/s) and sustained write of 600MB/s (vs. 400MB/s), 4KB aligned IOPS at 100,000 (vs. 75k on the original).100, 160, 240, 360, 480 and 960GB.40% of the performance for 4% of the price.[/citation]

on top of that, something in the LSI stats caught my eye. It uses a 6Gb controller, almost half the througphput the drive array itself is capable of. Talk aobut bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS