LSI MegaRaid controller with 10TB drives?

bfairs

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
I have an LSI MegaRaid SAS 9271-4i controller currently running 4x4TB WD SE drives in RAID10. I'm wanting to upgrade to 4x10TB Seagate Enterprise ST10000NM0016, and I'm wondering if I'll have compatibility issues with my RAID card. Broadcom has a compatibility report, but it hasn't been updated since Nov 26, 2016, and doesn't list any 10TB drives. Does anyone know if I'll have issues? I don't really want to buy the drives and find out I need to upgrade my raid card. Thanks!

Solution
According to this publication, you can find a list of compatible Seagate hard drives and the Raid card also befalling the support list. There's a reason why they have qualification tables for their cards since they mean that the dev team have worked with the hard drive in question and have made sure it's in working order. Servers need to be up all the time so any down time will be costly which is why hardware guranteed to work would be the thing you should be looking for.

Are you sure the existing documentation from LSI/Broadcomm doesn't have any 10TB drives in there? From my viewing of this documentation, your best option would be to choose the highest TB HDD that is supported by the card and be done with it...

Lutfij

Titan
According to this publication, you can find a list of compatible Seagate hard drives and the Raid card also befalling the support list. There's a reason why they have qualification tables for their cards since they mean that the dev team have worked with the hard drive in question and have made sure it's in working order. Servers need to be up all the time so any down time will be costly which is why hardware guranteed to work would be the thing you should be looking for.

Are you sure the existing documentation from LSI/Broadcomm doesn't have any 10TB drives in there? From my viewing of this documentation, your best option would be to choose the highest TB HDD that is supported by the card and be done with it, i.e picking a 6TB drive and buying 4 of them to pair with your Raid card.

Solution

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Personally I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot. Maybe just buy the drives from somewhere with a good return policy just in case...

I've built an array of 12 x 8TB Seagate Enterprise drives on a 9271-8i (with SAS expander) and my drive wasn't on the compatibility list. Its almost been a year since they updated that compatibility list and I'm not surprised. Just like they stopped creating new firmware since they're focusing on the SAS 3 cards and now even NVMe RAID cards.