mummy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2002

Howdy,

so Iliana has 4 blood and Governs my Unaligned.

My Nedal the Careless Forces Awake and attempts to block.

Iliana Horrific Countenances to make the action unblockable, but burns
all of her blood to do so. The GtU fizzles.

Does Nedal burn a blood? On the one hand, he didn't block the action.
On the other hand, there turned out to be no action to block...

mummy wrote:
> so Iliana has 4 blood and Governs my Unaligned.
>
> My Nedal the Careless Forces Awake and attempts to block.
>
> Iliana Horrific Countenances to make the action unblockable, but burns
> all of her blood to do so. The GtU fizzles.

Here a clear definition of "fizzle" is due - I will take that from the
Clarifications web page:

If a minion cannot pay the entire cost of an action when the action
resolves, what cost can be paid is paid, and the action continues with
no effect ("fizzles"). [RTR 20011007]

> Does Nedal burn a blood? On the one hand, he didn't block the action.
> On the other hand, there turned out to be no action to block...

There is an action, and it resolves (having no effect).

So yes, Nerdal does burn a blood.

Regards,

Hardy Range
Prince of Bochum, Germany
http://www.vekn.de

I had a weird train of thought about Forced Awakening and
"unsuccessfully blocking" the other day; didn't think it was worth
mentioning, but I might as well add it to this thread; here's a specific
(yet unlikely) scenario:

Phillippe Rigaud attempts a Govern-bleed action.
Horatio plays Forced Awakening and attempts to block.
Phillipe plays Elder Impersonation, to cause Horatio's block to fail.
Kazimir Savostin attempts to block instead, and he succeeds at blocking.
Phillipe strikes Scorpion Sting, Kazimirstrikes Fleshcraft (So Phillipe now
has -2 stealth).
Kazimir presses with his special ability.
In this new round of combat, Phillipe strikes Form of Mist (which he
just drew into).
The action continues at +1 stealth, but he has -2 stealth.
Horatio attempts to block again (since Forced Awakening lasts through
the whole action), and succeeds.

The question:

Does Horatio burn a blood for unsuccessfully blocking the action the
first time?
Or does he avoid burning the blood because he eventually did block the
action?

Jozxyqk <jfeuerst@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:
> I had a weird train of thought about Forced Awakening and
> "unsuccessfully blocking" the other day; didn't think it was worth
> mentioning, but I might as well add it to this thread; here's a specific
> (yet unlikely) scenario:

Of course, I could have made up a *slightly* less contrived scenario
with Mirror Image and no-stealth.. :)

Jozxyqk wrote:

> Phillippe Rigaud attempts a Govern-bleed action.
> Horatio plays Forced Awakening and attempts to block.
> Phillipe plays Elder Impersonation, to cause Horatio's block to fail.
> Kazimir Savostin attempts to block instead, and he succeeds at blocking.
> Phillipe strikes Scorpion Sting, Kazimirstrikes Fleshcraft (So Phillipe now
> has -2 stealth).
> Kazimir presses with his special ability.
> In this new round of combat, Phillipe strikes Form of Mist (which he
> just drew into).
> The action continues at +1 stealth, but he has -2 stealth.
> Horatio attempts to block again (since Forced Awakening lasts through
> the whole action), and succeeds.
>
> The question:
>
> Does Horatio burn a blood for unsuccessfully blocking the action the
> first time?
> Or does he avoid burning the blood because he eventually did block the
> action?

Horatio burns blood, because he failed to block. Action continued via
FoM is still same action, and Horatio can't block it because EI says so.

a-e <antero.elektro@substanssi.net> wrote:
> Jozxyqk wrote:

> > Phillippe Rigaud attempts a Govern-bleed action.
> > Horatio plays Forced Awakening and attempts to block.
> > Phillipe plays Elder Impersonation, to cause Horatio's block to fail.
> > Kazimir Savostin attempts to block instead, and he succeeds at blocking.
> > Phillipe strikes Scorpion Sting, Kazimirstrikes Fleshcraft (So Phillipe now
> > has -2 stealth).
> > Kazimir presses with his special ability.
> > In this new round of combat, Phillipe strikes Form of Mist (which he
> > just drew into).
> > The action continues at +1 stealth, but he has -2 stealth.
> > Horatio attempts to block again (since Forced Awakening lasts through
> > the whole action), and succeeds.
> >
> > The question:
> >
> > Does Horatio burn a blood for unsuccessfully blocking the action the
> > first time?
> > Or does he avoid burning the blood because he eventually did block the
> > action?
> >

> Horatio burns blood, because he failed to block. Action continued via
> FoM is still same action, and Horatio can't block it because EI says so.

Oops. I knew I messed something up. :)

Just Ignore Jozxyqk :)

Jozxyqk <jfeuerst@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:
> a-e <antero.elektro@substanssi.net> wrote:
> > Jozxyqk wrote:

> > > Phillippe Rigaud attempts a Govern-bleed action.
> > > Horatio plays Forced Awakening and attempts to block.
> > > Phillipe plays Elder Impersonation, to cause Horatio's block to fail.
> > > Kazimir Savostin attempts to block instead, and he succeeds at blocking.
> > > Phillipe strikes Scorpion Sting, Kazimirstrikes Fleshcraft (So Phillipe now
> > > has -2 stealth).
> > > Kazimir presses with his special ability.
> > > In this new round of combat, Phillipe strikes Form of Mist (which he
> > > just drew into).
> > > The action continues at +1 stealth, but he has -2 stealth.
> > > Horatio attempts to block again (since Forced Awakening lasts through
> > > the whole action), and succeeds.
> > >
> > > The question:
> > >
> > > Does Horatio burn a blood for unsuccessfully blocking the action the
> > > first time?
> > > Or does he avoid burning the blood because he eventually did block the
> > > action?
> > >

> > Horatio burns blood, because he failed to block. Action continued via
> > FoM is still same action, and Horatio can't block it because EI says so.

> Oops. I knew I messed something up. :)

OK.. assume that Phillipe played +1 stealth, and Kazimir had a Raven
Spy (and no block-fails effect was played). Should be able to get back
to my original question...

Jozxyqk wrote:

> OK.. assume that Phillipe played +1 stealth, and Kazimir had a Raven
> Spy (and no block-fails effect was played). Should be able to get back
> to my original question...

then Horatio blocks and doesn´t burn blood, it's still same action.

HardyRange wrote:
> mummy wrote:
>>so Iliana has 4 blood and Governs my Unaligned.
>>My Nedal the Careless Forces Awake and attempts to block.
>>Iliana Horrific Countenances to make the action unblockable, but burns
>>all of her blood to do so. The GtU fizzles.
>
> Here a clear definition of "fizzle" is due - I will take that from the
> Clarifications web page:
>
> If a minion cannot pay the entire cost of an action when the action
> resolves, what cost can be paid is paid, and the action continues with
> no effect ("fizzles"). [RTR 20011007]
>
>>Does Nedal burn a blood? On the one hand, he didn't block the action.
>>On the other hand, there turned out to be no action to block...
>
> There is an action, and it resolves (having no effect).
>
> So yes, Nerdal does burn a blood.

Correct.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/