Question M.2 and HDD won't read or write internet but run everything else fine ?

Jun 27, 2022
I have had a custom built PC for just over a year now, putting all my parts out of warranty, but nothing has been replaced. I have a crucial 1tb M.2 and a Seagate barracuda 4tb HDD. My mother board is a ROG Atrix X570-F, which means I am using an external internet dongle thing. Semi recently my PC started getting touchy with internet, dropping out, write speeds dropping to none the likes. But as of now whenever I try to use the internet my disks just stop writing or reading all together, and my internet runs slow (despite the connection saying it's receiving plenty of internet) both install clients and task manager tell me this.
Here's what I've checked:
  • I've checked and they're is no ACHI power bs
  • The Bios starts fine and I've checked everythings voltage
  • I have swapped cables for HDD and swapped SSD ports
  • Updated all possible drivers
  • I have checked I am receiving an internet connection through the dongle
  • I have rolled back quite a few updates, and reinstalled them with a flash drive
Im unsure if this is even a software problem, I'm getting the whole PC checked out but I am on a waitlist with a wait time of up to a month, if anyone has any ideas please let me know so I can try them before it gets looked over

Last edited:
your disk read/write speeds or activity would have nothing at all to do with any internet issues you may be experiencing.
unless you are copying text or data to these disks from internet sites or uploading/downloading files they are not associated with each other.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022
your disk read/write speeds or activity would have nothing at all to do with any internet issues you may be experiencing.
unless you are copying text or data to these disks from internet sites or uploading/downloading files they are not associated with each other.
Sorry I should clarify; I have a working internet connection but whenever I try to use the internet, whether it be downloading or just browsing, the disk speed drops to 0 as well as internet speeds saying they're ridiculously slow but aren't. I made it sound like they're dependant on each other but they're not, they just happen at the same time

whether it be downloading or just browsing, the disk speed drops to 0 as well as internet speeds saying they're ridiculously slow but aren't
then what is the problem you are facing?
disks are not functioning as should be or internet is not functioning as should be?

if these seem to be appearing at the same time i would guess it is either some sort of malware present,
some sort of OS corruption,
or some deeper hardware malfunction occurring.

these are usually two different totally unrelated series of events.
unless you are running some server based OS that is dependent on a 3rd party disk for functionality you would normally not see any correlation between these two issues.

include images of all of your Task Manager tabs while this supposed issue is showing itself.

Jun 27, 2022
then what is the problem you are facing?
disks are not functioning as should be or internet is not functioning as should be?

if these seem to be appearing at the same time i would guess it is either some sort of malware present,
some sort of OS corruption,
or some deeper hardware malfunction occurring.

these are usually two different totally unrelated series of events.
unless you are running some server based OS that is dependent on a 3rd party disk for functionality you would normally not see any correlation between these two issues.

include images of all of your Task Manager tabs while this supposed issue is showing itself.
You'll have to excuse me because I have very little idea what the issue is (although I'm beginning to wonder if the external wifi adapter has had it) so I'm going to include a bunch of images from a bunch of different scenarios.
Here the PC has nothing but task manager open, so expectedly nothing is happening:
https://ibb.co/k0Xnms0

Here is the PC running a game offline just to compare:
https://ibb.co/dJLbHxl

Whenever I try to use the internet I'm stuck in a never ending load lock:
https://ibb.co/nB7zYNq

My internet speed is supposed to be 6mb/s or there abouts, and 2.3mb/s for a split second is the best I've seen for a few weeks

Also to follow up on the read and write thing: I realised now that was me confusing any download saying the disk wasn't reading or writing when there wasn't internet as the cause of no internet, but rather the disk wasn't writing as it had nothing to write without any internet downloading stuff

Please let me know if there is other things I should include to help

Turn off IPv6 and reboot your pc.

disable-ipv6.jpg

Make sure your drivers are all updated from your motherboard's website, including the BIOS.

If using 2.4ghz wifi, MAKE SURE THE DONGLE IS NOT ON A USB 3.0 PORT!!!! USB 3.0 can and will interfere with 2.4ghz wifi signals, so make sure to plug into USB 2.0 if your motherboard has it. If using 5ghz, you're fine with USB 3.0.

According to the manual for your board, you do have 2 USB 2.0 headers, but they're located on the motherboard itself for use with USB 2.0 front panel connectors. Your case would have to have USB 2.0 plugs to attach to the motherboard internally. Page 1-15 of the manual https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15827_ROG_STRIX_X570-F_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

I would also explore alternatives like MOCA if you have a tv outlet in your room.

Jun 27, 2022
Jun 27, 2022
Make sure your drivers are all updated from your motherboard's website, including the BIOS.

If using 2.4ghz wifi, MAKE SURE THE DONGLE IS NOT ON A USB 3.0 PORT!!!! USB 3.0 can and will interfere with 2.4ghz wifi signals, so make sure to plug into USB 2.0 if your motherboard has it. If using 5ghz, you're fine with USB 3.0.

According to the manual for your board, you do have 2 USB 2.0 headers, but they're located on the motherboard itself for use with USB 2.0 front panel connectors. Your case would have to have USB 2.0 plugs to attach to the motherboard internally. Page 1-15 of the manual https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15827_ROG_STRIX_X570-F_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

I would also explore alternatives like MOCA if you have a tv outlet in your room.
I have had the dongle in a USB 2.0, I swapped it over to another USB 2.0 just for fun and nothing changed, I still get a tiny trickle of internet at best

Jun 27, 2022
What is "load locks"?
Like when you're loading or buffering something and it just gets stuck loading either as a processing issue or a connection disruption etc. I meant if I try to use the internet there is enough internet there that I have a connection, but it's so sparse and slow that it never loads

Jun 27, 2022
Have you tried connecting with ethernet cable?
Do you have the same issues then too?

Could be just bad wifi signal (obstacles between pc and wifi router) or
interfering devices nearby (like microwave oven - those mess up wifi really bad).
We don't own any ethernet cables and it's very awkward to run one to my computer, but the wifi has worked no issue before and still does on other devices. It was a sudden stop of normal connection, but only my PC suffered it