Question M.2 and heatsinks

Nov 26, 2023
So I'm in the process of putting together my system and ran into a small issue. I bought two Samsung 990 Pro SSDs with heatsink on a good sale (was cheaper than the non heatsink versions).

Now, my motherboard is a Asus ROG Strix X670e-f, which has it's own heatsinks that can't work with the Samsung heatsink. Is this a problem? Would I be better off returning these and getting two non-heatsink versions? Or does it really matter?

Also, since the MB heatsink for slot 2 also covers slots 3 and 4, if I use the Samsung with heatsink, slots 3 and 4 will now be uncovered /exposed and empty. Is this an issue?

Thanks again.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Also, since the MB heatsink for slot 2 also covers slots 3 and 4, if I use the Samsung with heatsink, slots 3 and 4 will now be uncovered /exposed and empty. Is this an issue?
Only an eyesore, if you can call it that even.

which has it's own heatsinks that can't work with the Samsung heatsink. Is this a problem?
Don't use MoBo heatsinks, instead use those that came with M.2 SSDs.

Also, MoBo M.2 covers are more for an eyecandy than actual heatsink. MoBo M.2 covers are too thin, with little, if any grooves/fins to act as a proper heatsink. Usually MoBo M.2 covers only trap the heat in, rather than being any meaningful heat dissipation hardware.