Specs -
CPU: i3 12100f
RAM: HyperX Fury 2x8GB 3200mhz
MBO: Asus H610M-A D4
COOLER: Id-cooling SE-224-XTS
GPU: TUF GTX 1650 Super
SSD: Samsung 980 500GB
HDD is some random old Seagate 250GB drive

I swapped stock intel cooler for the id cooling one and i removed the old hdd which i used only to store gaming highlights with nvidia Instant replay. After i removed the hdd i pluged in the pc and i got to bios and in bios everything is fine except that when i click on the boot menu there is nothing, after wards i went and plugged the hdd back and everything is working as usual. I fixed the problem but i want to know what caused the problem. Any info would be appreaciated? BTW only reason that made me remove the hdd was because i have a small old case and the hdd cable is like a centimeter away from the fan.

EDIT: Could it have something to do with the fact that both drives were connected to the motherboard when i was installing windows?

Lutfij

Titan
Reconnect the HDD to your system, power up, then go into Disk Management and share a screenshot of what you see there for the two drives. My hunch is that part of your OS install is on the HDD which is what's preventing you from booting to OS GUI without the HDD.

Just curious, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Last edited:

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
Reconnect the HDD to your system, power up, then go into Disk Management and share a screenshot of what you see there for the two drives. My hunch is that part sof your OS install is on the HDD which is what's preventing you from booting to OS GUI without the HDD.

Just curious, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?
Disk Management
Version of bios is 2014, i updated it before i installed the nvme in december

When you installed windows on your ssd, I think the hdd was also connected.
Windows put a bootloader there, making it impossible to boot without both drives present.
It is possible to fix that but the easiest thing to do is to remove the HDD and reinstall windows.

Reactions: Corwin65

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
When you installed windows on your ssd, I think the hdd was also connected.
Windows put a bootloader there, making it impossible to boot without both drives present.
It is possible to fix that but the easiest thing to do is to remove the HDD and reinstall windows.
Yeah thats what i thought happened, thanks for the confirmation