Question M.2 Drive no longer showing any volume and can't be read by the system

It'sTheChef

Reputable
Nov 12, 2019
Recently bought 2 Crucial P3 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSDs. I reinstalled Windows 10 on one of them via USB, and used the other one to install large applications. They both worked perfectly for about a week, but now the one with my OS has become unreadable to the system. It sent me back to the startup screen and asked me to select a boot drive. When selecting the boot drive, I noticed that one of the M.2 SSDs had renamed itself in the bios to "PCIe SSD", rather than "CT1000P3SSD8", which was the name of both drives in the BIOS and Device manager prior to this event. My guess is that my system can't even read the details about the drive, it just knows something is plugged in. System wouldn't boot from any drive, so I reinstalled windows again on a Samsung EVO 500GB which is what I had been using for the OS prior to the upgrade.

Now looking through device manager, the faulty drive is still called "PCIe SSD"and in disk management, it shows the volume as 1MB. The other M.2 Drive still works fine, and swapping the drives to different slots on my motherboard gives the same result, so it's not a faulty motherboard connection.

Is there any way that I can reset the drive? I have all of my data backed up so there's no issue with wiping the drive.

Recently bought 2 Crucial P3 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSDs. I reinstalled Windows 10 on one of them via USB, and used the other one to install large applications. They both worked perfectly for about a week, but now the one with my OS has become unreadable to the system. It sent me back to the startup screen and asked me to select a boot drive. When selecting the boot drive, I noticed that one of the M.2 SSDs had renamed itself in the bios to "PCIe SSD", rather than "CT1000P3SSD8", which was the name of both drives in the BIOS and Device manager prior to this event. My guess is that my system can't even read the details about the drive, it just knows something is plugged in. System wouldn't boot from any drive, so I reinstalled windows again on a Samsung EVO 500GB which is what I had been using for the OS prior to the upgrade.

Now looking through device manager, the faulty drive is still called "PCIe SSD"and in disk management, it shows the volume as 1MB. The other M.2 Drive still works fine, and swapping the drives to different slots on my motherboard gives the same result, so it's not a faulty motherboard connection.

Is there any way that I can reset the drive? I have all of my data backed up so there's no issue with wiping the drive.
Put a copy of partition wizard on a flash stick.
Boot the stick.
The app has a lot of things you can do with the ssd.

Will any of it help?......no idea.

A capacity of 1MB suggests that the firmware has "panicked". This is a fatal error, usually due to bad NAND.

Can you retrieve a SMART report with CrystalDiskInfo?

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Crucial's web site suggests going into BIOS setup and just letting your computer sit at the setup screen for an hour or so. This should give the SSD's firmware plenty of time to repair itself, if at all possible.