Question M.2 NVMe disables connection to GPU and PCIE network adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skryless

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Installed a WD Black SN750 today. However, after windows finished installing, I noticed that both my GPU and PCIE network adapter could not be recognized. Is the M.2 NVMe blocking bandwidth to these to components?

GPU is occupying a PCIE x16 slot
Network adapter is occupying a PCIE x1 slot

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450M-A
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
GPU: GTX 1660 ti

Installed a WD Black SN750 today. However, after windows finished installing, I noticed that both my GPU and PCIE network adapter could not be recognized. Is the M.2 NVMe blocking bandwidth to these to components?

GPU is occupying a PCIE x16 slot
Network adapter is occupying a PCIE x1 slot

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450M-A
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
GPU: GTX 1660 ti

How are you getting a display if the GPU isn't recognised??

And no, it shouldn't take bandwidth from the pci express slots, board specs clearly state that sata ports 5and 6 are disabled if installing an m2 drive.

Skryless

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
How are you getting a display if the GPU isn't recognised??

Not sure either. My GPU is not listed under Display adapters in device manager. However, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is listed instead.

And no, it shouldn't take bandwidth from the pci express slots, board specs clearly state that sata ports 5and 6 are disabled if installing an m2 drive.

I have also noticed the same thing in the User Manual for the MOBO. If this is the case, what other reasons could there be?

Skryless

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Quite possibly. My newest mobo has 2 M2 NVMe slots and 2 PCIE x16 slots, as well as 2 PCIE x4 slots. The docs state that using the second M2 slot will disable one of the PCIE x16 slots, and the first M2 slot one of the PCIE x4 slots.

Unfortunately, according to the MOBO's User Manual, there is no mention of M.2 disabling any PCIE slots.

Not sure either. My GPU is not listed under Display adapters in device manager. However, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is listed instead.

I have also noticed the same thing in the User Manual for the MOBO. If this is the case, what other reasons could there be?

Have you tried reinstalling display drivers??

Also are there any unknown devices showing up in device manager that could be the wireless card??

Installing an m2 could have inadvertently changed the order the bios sees pci express devices.

Your gpu is clearly working, it's just disabled or removed the drivers for some reason.

I'm dubious about that info regarding m2 disabling sata ports.

I have a full size pro 4 and installing an nvme drive disables one of the small slot x 4 pci express ports.
Installing a sata m2 disables a couple of sata ports.
There is no correlation in an nvme diabaling sata ports at all, they run off completely different controllers.

I would try installing the wireless card in the bottom x16 pci express slot if nothing is showing in device manager, I personally think the uppermost x 4 slot (in line the the m2) has been physically disabled.

Skryless

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Also are there any unknown devices showing up in device manager that could be the wireless card??

Yes, in Device Manger there are 8 unknown devices with a yellow warning symbol next to them under Other Devices.

Your gpu is clearly working, it's just disabled or removed the drivers for some reason.

The fans don't run or spin at all though once the PC and windows boots up.

Yes, in Device Manger there are 8 unknown devices with a yellow warning symbol next to them under Other Devices.

The fans don't run or spin at all though once the PC and windows boots up.

Most modern gpu's are fan less under 60c.

Have you tried right clicking those devices and checking drivers? 9 out of 10 time windows will choose the correct driver for the job.

When you say wireless card do you mean wireless??

If so you're probably going to have to use a cabled connection (to the motherboard ethernet) to get online and update drivers.

Was the system fully working before you installed the m2 drive??

Skryless

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Have you tried right clicking those devices and checking drivers? 9 out of 10 time windows will choose the correct driver for the job.

Yes, windows always says its unable to find the drivers for the unknown devices.

Was the system fully working before you installed the m2 drive??

Yes, it was working fine with a SATA SSD up until I installed Windows 10 on the M.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.