[SOLVED] M.2 NVMe SSD compatibility troubles

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Hello,

recently my 850 Evo decided to randomly die on me. So I was in the market for a new SSD yesterday (I settled for a Western Digital Black SN750 and asked on the forums if it was compatible or not). But decided to hold off last second for following reasons:

First of all, I checked on my B250 Krait's webpage and they don't even state what Socket the M2 is. I don't know if its B + M, or if its M or B.

Visually it looks like a socket where an B or M key would go in, not B + M, I don't know if there are 5 pins or 6 pins or god knows.

Secondly, what does "disabling a PCIE Slot or using a PCIE slot" mean? I have two m.2 sockets. One is above my GPU PCIE Lane. That is the longer one. If I install my M.2 SSD there, will it disable the PCIE Slot below?

My second M2 Slot is shorter. How do I know if it will even fit on my board? The length is 2280.

And lastly, I've been told, that NVMe SSDs disable certain Sata ports. How can I know which are disabled? I have my WD Green 1TB with all the stuff that wasn't on my SSD that died, connected to the 6th Sata port.

I'm terribly sorry for the incredibly long post for such a trivial topic that I could probably search for myself. Truth be said, I have no clue when it comes to M.2 SSDs.

I thank the community for their help and patience.

Last edited:

rgd1101

Don't
Solution