Question M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe adapter card is not detected ?

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
I have an
MSI B550 gaming plus motherboard,
with a 5900x,
32gb 3600mhz gskill ram,
and a 1000W Corsair RMx power supply.

I have 2 2TB m.2 NVME drives, and (on the 22nd of July) I’m getting a 4TB nvme. Now the B550 only has 2 m.2 slots, which is no biggy because you can buy one to fit in a x4 or x16 or whichever slot you want. So I bought a c16 that supports 1 drive because it’s a pcie gen 4. Now I plugged it in, and the drive no longer shows up. I went into the hood and searched through settings for awhile, to no avail. If anyone has any info or suggestions that would be great, I’m running msi click bios gen 5, version E7C56AMS.150 .

Thank you in advance!

If anyone has any info or suggestions that would be great
You could use PCIE x1 M.2 adapter to install additional M.2 drive in PCIE x1 slot
Bandwidth would be only x1 (not x4) though.

NVMe-PCIe-M-2-NGFF-SSD-to-PCIe-x1-Adapter-Card-PCIe-x1-to-M-2.jpg

Another option (you probably wouldn't want to do)
Install PCIE x16 M.2 adapter (for 4 M.2 drives) in top PCIE x16 slot,
move graphics card to second PCIE_x16 slot (PCI_E3 in x4 mode) and
move all M.2 drives to this adapter (or at least two, including one from M2_2 slot).

71r5wj5EjIL.jpg

Reactions: Dragon155

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
Given the lack of ports, why the desire for a 3rd M.2 drive?
What will it be used for, that a SATA III SSD would not work?
In this case, I had 2 2TB drives, and wanted to add an additional 4tb drive, worse case I transfer all the data to the new drive and sell the old one, considering it’s unlikely this will work

USAFRet

Titan
In this case, I had 2 2TB drives, and wanted to add an additional 4tb drive, worse case I transfer all the data to the new drive and sell the old one, considering it’s unlikely this will work
In what way would a SATA III SSD not be suitable?

For a LOT of uses, you can't tell the difference.

Wanting a 3rd M.2 drive is a poor reason for a motherboard upgrade.

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
In what way would a SATA III SSD not be suitable?

For a LOT of uses, you can't tell the difference.

Wanting a 3rd M.2 drive is a poor reason for a motherboard upgrade.
Well, it wasn’t so much the 3rd M.2, the primary objective was to increase storage, and I wanted a 4tb m.2, as it makes a difference for games is my big deal, however if the motherboard doesn’t support 3, I’ll just sell one of the 2tb ones as it’s not needed, and in that case if I want to upgrade I’ll just get 2 4tb, as a motherboard that could support 3 nvme would likely be reasonably expensive….

I see, in that case would a motherboard upgrade potentially solve the issue? Since there is (likely) not way to make that other slot available
There's no way to add additional M.2 drives which will operate at full speed to your system outside of a motherboard change.

To parrot what has already been said is there a reason a SATA drive (or drives since high capacity are stupidly expensive) won't work for you? I've been running SATA with a single NVME for years and it doesn't impact a thing. DirectStorage for games is the only thing that potentially will, but you've already got two NVME drives for those games.

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
There's no way to add additional M.2 drives which will operate at full speed to your system outside of a motherboard change.

To parrot what has already been said is there a reason a SATA drive (or drives since high capacity are stupidly expensive) won't work for you? I've been running SATA with a single NVME for years and it doesn't impact a thing. DirectStorage for games is the only thing that potentially will, but you've already got two NVME drives for those games.
No, no specific reason, I got the second M.2 drive for incredibly cheap, and on prime day I got the 4tb for the exact same price as a samsung 870 qvo 4tb, digging into the specs of the drives the M.2 has a higher overall TBW, and my sabrent I've had for 2 years has done 450tbw, so I do focus on that when buying drives, the 4tb asus predator one I got is 3000tbw, as the 870 is 1440. Those numbers don't mean the drives just gonna die, but thats the main thing I look for. I'll end up just selling the other 2tb and thus having a 2tb and 4tb, if I can find something like an 8TB ssd for a good price I'll definitely be getting one.