Question M.2 NVMe to USB adapter ?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm thinking of using an NVMe SSD as one backup method but I don't have a compatible motherboard right now (I'll probably get a new rig later this year). I do have a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port.
For the time being, the only way I can use it is as an external drive through an M.2 to USB adapter like this (not necessarily this particular model).
https://www.amazon.com/SSK-Aluminum-Enclosure-Adapter-External/dp/B07MNFH1PX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=R8DF43VXLGZM&keywords=m.2+to+usb+adapter&qid=1678613075&sprefix=m.2+to+usb+adapter,aps,316&sr=8-3

I'm aware that there are SATA-only, NVMe-only as well as SATA + NVMe combination models, and that the speed will be limited to USB speeds.
If anyone is using this type of adapter, could you share what kind of real-world performance you get?

USAFRet

Titan
For possible future use as an internal drive when I get a new system. And it has the potential to be faster than SATA even as an external drive with Gen 2 USB.
For 'future use', storage prices almost always go down over time.
What is $150 today will be $130 later.

Speed is still constrained by the USB interface.

But yes, that enclosure should work.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
NVMe prices are now comparable to those of SATA drives of the same class - DRAM, DRAM-less, TBW, etc. I see no reason to go for a SATA model.
The adapter can serve as a general purpose tool later, especially the dual SATA+NVMe models. I have a caseless SATA-to-USB adapter and often use it to work with 2.5" and 3.5" drives.

What I really want to know is how well the SSD adapters work, not if they work. E.g., do they approach the theoretical Gen 2 USB speed? Do they work reliably?