[SOLVED] m.2 nvme vs sata ssd

Oct 26, 2020
i've watch a linus vid where SATA outpreforms nvme in game loading times. that's all i really use my pc for.

why would i buy nvme drives that only allows me to use 2 to 3 m.2 slots on most boards when x570 boards have have 6 to 8 sata.

i understand that nvme drives are faster but do i really need speeds that fast?

Solution
Random access times is what you want in games that load assets while playing and all ssd types are pretty much the same in this area. Load times are a little quicker on PCIe, not by a great deal ~2 seconds give or take.

Fast PCIe drives matter more in creating / transfering large files etc. Cable management is another benefit as said by General K.
i've watch a linus vid where SATA outpreforms nvme in game loading times. that's all i really use my pc for.

why would i buy nvme drives that only allows me to use 2 to 3 m.2 slots on most boards when x570 boards have have 6 to 8 sata.

i understand that nvme drives are faster but do i really need speeds that fast?
Hello there!
If you are getting it only for storing games then get the sata ssd and that'll also save some bucks but if you are planning to have windows on it there's no reason to not to opt nvme ssd if money isn't the issue m.2 form factor also gives you a better cable managed system as they don't use any connectors.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Random access times is what you want in games that load assets while playing and all ssd types are pretty much the same in this area. Load times are a little quicker on PCIe, not by a great deal ~2 seconds give or take.

Fast PCIe drives matter more in creating / transfering large files etc. Cable management is another benefit as said by General K.

Reactions: General Kenobi
Solution