Question M.2 RAID with Aorus x570s Master not working

Sep 21, 2022
I recently put this in my PC because I wanted all my M.2 drives to be PCIe x4 capable. I have tried over and over again to get my Samsung 980 Pro SSDs (2 configured in RAID 0) to be configured in RAID using the on board controller but every time I turn it on it says that none of my drives are able to be initialized for RAID. Does anyone know if this is an issue with this board? Should I get an add-in card if I want to use RAID?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think it is supported anyway:

(Note 2) An M.2 PCIe SSD cannot be used to set up a RAID set either with an M.2 SATASSD or a SATA hard drive

I would also venture a guess that both drives would need to be connected directly to the chipset, and not use the slot that uses lanes from the CPU. Which begs the question, what do you have that can actually generate the throughput from outside, or inside, your system to justify that speed?

Thunderbolt or the fastest USB 3 could maybe get you halfway there today. But most of the technologies that demand PCIe 5.0 speeds are in the form of 80Gbps connections like high end TB4 or the latest USB 4 version 2.