Question M.2 sata ssd vs Nvme ssd

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
Hallo good people , I bought a HP z book 17 g3 laptop that came with M2 sata ssd of 256gb, then I bought another samsung Nvme ssd of 512Gb to add as upgrade, theyre both in the laptop and I went ahead and installed windows on the new Nvme, so I have two OS in the two ssds, my question is, kindly help me decide which of the two ssd is faster so I can make it the default local c, then I will go ahead and format the other ssd, the m.2 sata ssd has two legs that fits into the motherboad an the Nvme ssd has one leg that gets into the motherboard, I cant see a way of how to attach photos of both the m.2 sata ssd and the nvme ssd, the nvme is a samsung PM 981 of 512Gb and the M.2 sata is an intel ssd, thanks in advance for your response

USAFRet

Titan
Great, I really appreciate the relies, you solved my problem, I'll now go ahead and make the Nvme my default local c since I will be using it for architecture and engineering softwares, including renderings, thanks again
From my soon to be published test results for various photo and CAD applications, and different SSD drives.....there is little or no difference in time to save.
PCIe 4.0, PCIe 3.0, SATA III....

The rest of the system has far more impact.