[SOLVED] M.2 screw needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblack

Prominent
Mar 25, 2019
I attached a new Corsair MP600 to my MB (Asrock B550 pro4 ITX) ... the distance screw is already mounted at the MB ... but when I put back one of the two mounting screws of the heatsink (which came with the MB, but is now obsolete) the M.2 cannot be tightened ... the M.2 is still a little bit ‘flexible‘ if you press lightly ... (however there is no way it could fall out or slip out of the slot)

As it is the first time I install a M.2 ... ist that ok? Or do I need to really tighten the M.2?

Solution
I attached a new Corsair MP600 to my MB (Asrock B550 pro4 ITX) ... the distance screw is already mounted at the MB ... but when I put back one of the two mounting screws of the heatsink (which came with the MB, but is now obsolete) the M.2 cannot be tightened ... the M.2 is still a little bit ‘flexible‘ if you press lightly ... (however there is no way it could fall out or slip out of the slot)

As it is the first time I install a M.2 ... ist that ok? Or do I need to really tighten the M.2?

If the screw can't be tightened, then you've probably installed either the M.2 or heatsink incorrectly

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020

If the screw can't be tightened, then you've probably installed either the M.2 or heatsink incorrectly

Reactions: Barty1884
Solution

Blueblack

Prominent
Mar 25, 2019

the Corsair comes with a heatsink ... and there is no way to put the heatsink from the MB on top (and it wouldn‘t make any sense) ... and the sides of the M.2 are slimmer than the lenght of the distance screw ... so actually I would need something like a spacer sleeve to tighten the M.2 firmly ... ???

I'm under no impression that the screw is actually needed for the pins to make contact and is there simply to hold down the card.
Incorrect. The screw is required to be installed, otherwise the drive would simply fall out of the socket. It's not a tight fit (nor is it supposed to be).

OP, please provide a picture of what you are describing. According to the diagram in the manual there are no obstructions.

Incorrect. The screw is required to be installed, otherwise the drive would simply fall out of the socket. It's not a tight fit (nor is it supposed to be).
Which is what I said: The screw isn't there for the pins to make contact. It's there to hold down the card.

I see no problem with using the card as long as it's in the socket and the screw partially in to the point where the card can't fall out.

Reactions: johnsoner13
Which is what I said: The screw isn't there for the pins to make contact. It's there to hold down the card.

I see no problem with using the card as long as it's in the socket and the screw partially in to the point where the card can't fall out.
If the drive shifts at all in the socket, and it will if the screw isn't tight, it will make intermittent contact in the socket and fail to work properly. They're not designed to float.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

What is in the bag between the disc and the Asrock badge looks like 2 screws to me. Not listed on their site.
https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageOriginal/13-157-939-V82.jpg

Make sure their no removable film under the heatsink, if you got the right side screw in you should actually be fine but both should fit unless the bag in the picture has screws in it or you have a film under the heatsink.

EDIT other than that might try to put a bit more pressure on the heatsink to get the screw started but don't get to aggressive with it.

Last edited:

Blueblack

Prominent
Mar 25, 2019
OP, please provide a picture of what you are describing. According to the diagram in the manual there are no obstructions.

it‘s actually impossible to take a picture without taking apart almost everything ... it‘s quite crammed inside my build (fractal design nano) ... I made a quick sketch, but I can‘t seem to figure out how to upload it ...

anyway ... actually I think, I should be fine ... the M.2 sits quite firmly in the slot and because of the screw it cannot move sideways or even out ... the screw just doesn‘t press the M.2 toght downwards ...

btw, I didn‘t find screws in the box from the MB (or I have already lost them) ... but you will not need additional screws, if you can use the heatsink from the MB ...

Status
Not open for further replies.