[SOLVED] M.2 ssd as main drive alongside 2 hdd's with Optane Memory

Apr 28, 2020
Would adding optane memory affect the performance of a main m.2 SSD. I'm wanting to add optane memory to speed up two HDD's that are also in the system. The main objective here is to increase the efficiency of onboard HDD's without affecting the main m.2 sdd.

Open to suggestions/concerns or comments. Thanks guys!

Solution
Just creating a pc build and the HDD's will be for extra storage, however, I'm impatient hence why I'm considering it. Furthermore, thank you for your response -- so if I was to do this, I would need one per drive then? Moreover, why would this be a good or bad idea at a consumer level? Also, I've never used optane memory before, which is why I'm not familiar with it and asking these questions. Is there a way to tell the optane memory which hdd to assist or does it auto-assign to a drive?
It's just a tiered cache for the most used blocks of data (not applications or files) that live on the target drive.

Unless you're reading the same data over and over...it just reads from the HDD anyway.

It is good in a database sever...
Apr 28, 2020
Just creating a pc build and the HDD's will be for extra storage, however, I'm impatient hence why I'm considering it. Furthermore, thank you for your response -- so if I was to do this, I would need one per drive then? Moreover, why would this be a good or bad idea at a consumer level? Also, I've never used optane memory before, which is why I'm not familiar with it and asking these questions. Is there a way to tell the optane memory which hdd to assist or does it auto-assign to a drive?

USAFRet

Titan
It's just a tiered cache for the most used blocks of data (not applications or files) that live on the target drive.

Unless you're reading the same data over and over...it just reads from the HDD anyway.

It is good in a database sever situation. You can have the SQL stored procedures live there, and the main data on the large HDD>
Stored procs get processed faster, and then retrieves off the drive.

For regular use? It's just a waste of an m.2 port. That port would be better served by another regular M.2 drive.

Bottom line - don't bother.

Reactions: DevilsNerve
Solution
Apr 28, 2020

It is good in a database sever situation. You can have the SQL stored procedures live there, and the main data on the large HDD>
Stored procs get processed faster, and then retrieves off the drive.

For regular use? It's just a waste of an m.2 port. That port would be better served by another regular M.2 drive.

Bottom line - don't bother.

Awesome, see that's where the miss understanding came in -- I was not aware it's only effective when rereading data. Thank you much!