Question M.2 SSD Connection Issues (0x800701B1, disk write error, disappears after rescanning disk on disk management)

Ztekor

Reputable
Feb 15, 2020
To start with the drive i have problems with is a 500GB WD BLUE SN550 NVME SSD. It has been working fine for around 1.5 years, but starting from a few days ago in the middle of playing a game, the game proceeded to crash, and not only that the disk becomes unwritable, and even disappears when i tried to rescan disks in the disk management. The thing is the drive is always recognized in the BIOS. I could restart the PC and the drive would show up again but it would still behave strangely (as in i cant really access anything inside without some kind of error happening), and every time i rescan disks, it will disappear. I have thought that the problem would be in the M.2 Slot in the motherboard, so i purchased a PCIE x16 to M.2 NVME adaptor and tried installing the drive on that but the problem still persists. I have ran surface tests with Minitool Partition Wizard, and everything is fine without any errors. I am confident the SSD itself has no problems but I am suspecting that there is a problem in the SSD connection itself but i would appreciate to hear some other thoughts.

System:
Ryzen 5 5600
MSI B450M Mortar
RX 580 8GB
Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold
Corsair 2x8GB 3000MHZ
System Drive 250GB WD Black SN750 (23GB Free Out of 232GB)
2ND Drive 500GB WD Blue SN550 (77,7GB Free Out of 465GB)

Version 22H2
OS Build 19045.3803

Disk Management Screenshot: View: https://imgur.com/a/Je7PJ4k

Note: This is after i restart the PC, yet before i rescan disks. It will disappear and become inaccessible whenever i do the rescan disk action. ("drive was not specified")

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include other disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Open Disk Management and expand the window so all can be seen.

Take a screenshot of the full window and post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Reactions: Ztekor

Ztekor

Reputable
Feb 15, 2020
Last edited: