[SOLVED] M.2 SSD heatsink - needs to contact both sides?

Teeces

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
I have two systems with an M.2 (2280) SSD, and neither drive came with a heatsink. I'm now looking at buying some inexpensive heatsinks for them, and I'm seeing two basic styles: one that contacts the drive on both sides (top & bottom) and one that contacts it on the top only. How much difference is it going to make if it's only contacting the top?

FYI I've been running these sans heatsink for a while and I don't think I've had any overheating, but I'd rather have the heatsinks for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Solution
Short answer... no.

Aftermarket m.2 heat sinks are mostly marketing.
A m.2 device will heat up under sustained sequential processing. it takes perhaps 30 seconds or more to do that.
Should the m.2 get too hot, it will simply slow down to protect itself.
So long as you have decent airflow over the motherboard, you should not have a m.2 heat issue.

USAFRet

Titan
Some manufacturers recommend no heat sink at all.

Of my 2x NVMe drives, one has a heat sink, one does not.

The 980 Pro, with a heatsink from the motherboard, idles at ~52C. Rises to maybe 57C under load.
The other, an Intel 660p has no heatsink. Idles at ~37C, and rises to ~62C under heavy load.

Neither temp range is hazardous for the drive.

Reactions: Teeces
I have two systems with an M.2 (2280) SSD, and neither drive came with a heatsink. I'm now looking at buying some inexpensive heatsinks for them, and I'm seeing two basic styles: one that contacts the drive on both sides (top & bottom) and one that contacts it on the top only. How much difference is it going to make if it's only contacting the top?

FYI I've been running these sans heatsink for a while and I don't think I've had any overheating, but I'd rather have the heatsinks for peace of mind.
Have you thought about monitoring the ssd temps and seeing if you even need heatsinks?

Teeces

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
Some manufacturers recommend no heat sink at all.

Of my 2x NVMe drives, one has a heat sink, one does not.

The 980 Pro, with a heatsink from the motherboard, idles at ~52C. Rises to maybe 57C under load.
The other, an Intel 660p has no heatsink. Idles at ~37C, and rises to ~62C under heavy load.

Neither temp range is hazardous for the drive.
OK thanks for the info. Maybe my best bet is to just leave them alone.
The two I have are:
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750
SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS

Short answer... no.

Aftermarket m.2 heat sinks are mostly marketing.
A m.2 device will heat up under sustained sequential processing. it takes perhaps 30 seconds or more to do that.
Should the m.2 get too hot, it will simply slow down to protect itself.
So long as you have decent airflow over the motherboard, you should not have a m.2 heat issue.

Solution