[SOLVED] M.2 SSD Issue

BeepityBoop

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Hello all

I have a Sabrent 1TB NVMe SSD, i've had it for around 3 months with no issues so far. Earlier today i got a bluescreen and after it restarted it would not boot, i had to boot to my old SATA SSD and when i did the NVMe drive didn't show up in disk management or BIOS so i assumed the drive had failed.

I took my PC apart and moved the NVMe drive the 2nd slot on the motherboard and tried again and it booted perfectly, at this point i assumed the original slot on my MOBO ( ROG STRIX Z370-E) had failed. Just as a test though i took it back out and put it back in the original slot and to my amazement it booted again fine.

I am at a loss to what could have caused this, a couple of hours later i powered down my PC and then the next time i started it again it wouldn't boot like before and i checked in BIOS and again the NVMe drive isn't there.

Has anyone had experience with this or know what could be causing it?

I am going to move the drive to the 2nd slot again and leave it there and see what happens but i am really confused.

Is the SSD faulty or is it my MOBO that's playing up not recognising it?

Thanks for your time i appreciate it's a long read but i wanted to be thorough so you have all the info

Cheers

Solution
The Bluescreen & restart may have corrupted the drives internal tables which usually causes them to drop offline until it can rebuild them. This of course needs the drive to be powered to happen which your booting to another OS provided.

I would doublecheck with Sabrent and maybe see if there is a firmware bug they are working on or if it was probably the internal tables rebuild.

popatim

Titan
The Bluescreen & restart may have corrupted the drives internal tables which usually causes them to drop offline until it can rebuild them. This of course needs the drive to be powered to happen which your booting to another OS provided.

I would doublecheck with Sabrent and maybe see if there is a firmware bug they are working on or if it was probably the internal tables rebuild.

Solution