Question M.2 SSD not detected in BIOS after shut down - Detected again after hard power off and on

May 11, 2024
Hello.

I'm having a pretty tricky issue with my M.2 SSD drive (Kingston KC 2500 500 GB).

My PC is running Windows 11 Pro, the CPU is AMD Ryzen 3600 and the M/B is MSI B450-A Pro Max.

A few days ago, I noticed that, after the system was going in hibernation, when I tried to power it on again, it was taking me back to BIOS. In there, my M.2 SSD Drive was not detected. After exiting the BIOS the problem was not resolved as the system was taking me continuously to the BIOS. When I powered off the system by pressing the power button and then powered it on again, everything worked fine. The M.2 SSD was detected and windows loaded successfully.

The same problem was happening when I tried to power on the system for the first time. If I powered it off by pressing the power off button and immediately powered it on again, the problem was resolved.

I read some related questions in the forum and I did the following :

1. Installed latest BIOS version
2. Installed all updates for my motherboard
3. Disabled hibernation.

After that, the current status is the following :

After shutting down the system, if I immediately power it on again, there is no problem. But if I wait about 5 minutes or more and then try to power the system on again, I get a message "NTLDR is missing" and I am prompted to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart. After doing that, the problem is resolved and windows load successfully.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this ?

Many thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1| This is where you state the BIOS version instead of saying the latest . If you updated to the latest, did you clear the CMOS?
2| Did you use a third party app or manually after cross referencing what the latest version is compared to yours?

Might want to read through this.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

May 11, 2024
Hello and thanks for your reply

The current version of my BIOS is E7B86AMS.MK0.

In order to do the BIOS update I used an application from MSI called "MSI Center", which performed a scan on my system and prompted me to download and install the BIOS version I mentioned above.

I didn't clear the CMOS after updating the BIOS. Should I do it now ? Is this done by removing the CMOS battery ?

My PSU is Cooler Master MWE 600W V2 Bronze and it's 3 years old.