M.2 SSD only shows in Bios, not in Windows

Apr 22, 2018
I’m trying to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my Asus laptop.
The model is Asus Rog G701vi and comes installed with two m.2 256gb SSD .

What i did:
I booted into BIOS and and turned off "Secure Boot Control". Then i turned on ”CMS support” under ”Boot” settings.

I erased the RAID volume, i now have 2 SSDs, 256gb, showing in bios, model MZVPW256HEGL-00000, also known as Samsung SM961.

So Bios is recognizing the SSD. Now that i boot Windows installer and from my USB, the drives that are visible in BIOS isnt showning in the list, so its not possible to install windows. I have the options to i stall drivers but cant find any EFI drivers on Samungs webpage. Anybody that knows a solution for this problem?

Solution
M.2 SSD won't show up until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector.

No destination is needed if only a single drive is connected.
1- The M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.

If you want to install on the RAID array. Turn on ”CMS support” or whatever you had originally.
Include ”Version V15.2.1.1028"
2016/11/161.32 MBytes
Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
in the windows installation.
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G701VI/HelpDesk_Download/
Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver during Windows 10 installation.

You can use whichever M.2 socket you want.

2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.

3 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works also. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

4 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-with-windows-10-setup/

Apr 22, 2018

Thanks for the answer! I disabled CSM and and made an UEFI bootable iso according to the guide. When im at the same step, where I should choose a destination to install Windows 10, the list is still blank, no SSD is showing/to pick from. Anything else I can try?

M.2 SSD won't show up until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver.

Apr 22, 2018

The laptop has 2 M.2 drives of the same kind. Do i need to dissemble one of them to have the other one appear in the list?

M.2 SSD won't show up until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector.

If you want to install on the RAID array. Turn on ”CMS support” or whatever you had originally.
Include ”Version V15.2.1.1028"
2016/11/161.32 MBytes
Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
in the windows installation.
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G701VI/HelpDesk_Download/

Solution
Apr 22, 2018

Thank you! This one solved it.