Question M.2 SSD recognizing issue after windows 10 install

Devon Kittle

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
I have an Asus Rog G752vl that i've owned for years.

months ago, i had 2 SSDs installed in it, a WD 500gb 2.5 SSD, and a Crucial 500GB PCIE m.2 SSD.

It worked fine for the longest time, and then i decided to do some maintenance on it since it started to act a little buggy. i opened it up, redid the stock thermal paste, then closed her back up, no big deal.

after about a week, it would get BSOD Watchdog crashes, and i couldnt for the life of me figure it out. there wasnt a driver issue that was the regular culprit because there arent ATA drivers on the laptop. (checked device manager several times)

After it crashing several times a day for weeks, i got sick of it, and decided a new windows installation was in order, maybe there was some kind of corrupt file.

when i went to reinstall windows on the OS drive, i backed up almost all of my file/photos/documents/etc on the m.2 drive. then i booted up the windows installer on a USB drive, and did a clean install. i should have notice an issue here, as it was blaringly obvious.

when in the installation window, and selecting a drive to install on, ONLY my C drive SSD (The 2.5 WD drive) was recognized and available. i did the typical formatting to clean it thoroughly, but didnt realize the D drive (the crucial M.2) wasnt even present.

now, windows doesnt recognize the drive, the laptop's bios doesnt recognize the drive in the SATA configurator, HOWEVER, if i go in to EZ flash (becuase i thought i needed to update the bios, which is already up to date), it will recognize the drive and the folders still on it in that menu (so at least the drive isnt bricked).

now, how the hell do i access and use this drive? i've done all of the normal troubleshooting: swapping PCI slots, checking disk list in the command prompt, etc., but i just cant get this drive to come out of hiding.

i tried to chang efrom RAID mode to AHCI mode, since some forum posts suggested that, but it goes in to Windows Boot Repair after trying to post about 2-3 times.

if anyone can help, or needs more info, please help. i dont want to have a working 500GB drive me unusable because of some ASUS reading issue.

Devon Kittle

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Change to AHCI and reinstall.

If you have set up raid mode with Optane, then nvme drive is configured to be used as HDD cache.

As silly as it sounds, i let Windows do several updates, and wouldn't you know it, the drive is recognizable again. WTF, i have no idea how simple windows updates would actually fix an issue hardware and the bios couldn't work on its own.

sorry i wasnt able to test the AHCI trick, but at least it's fixed on its own now. that's a sight of relief