Question M.2 SSD retaining screw is broken ?

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
I'm supposed to try and help a friend replace their M.2 SSD, problem is the screw holding the SSD down has had its head cut off, leaving the bottom of the screw in the holder...

Since I'm not quite sure on how to attach images I uploaded picture both from the front and back to Imgur.

View: https://imgur.com/a/tUdrEJP

Hopefully someone can help me out here with how to secure the SSD despite this issue..

Edit: Would soldering a paperclip or something similar to the standoff work as a way to keep the new SSD secure?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Since I'm not quite sure on how to attach images I uploaded picture both from the front and back to Imgur.
Include the URL to the images for us to see.

You could also try and use needle nose pliers to see if you can remove the rest of the screw's body out of the threaded hole.

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Include the URL to the images for us to see.

You could also try and use needle nose pliers to see if you can remove the rest of the screw's body out of the threaded hole.

I did try that out a few times, unfortunately i havent had any luck doing so yet.

I'm supposed to try and help a friend replace their M.2 SSD, problem is the screw holding the SSD down has had its head cut off, leaving the bottom of the screw in the holder...

View: https://imgur.com/a/tUdrEJP

Hopefully someone can help me out here with how to secure the SSD despite this issue..
If the standoff is screwed into the mobo perhaps remove it and get a new standoff.

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
If the standoff is screwed into the mobo perhaps remove it and get a new standoff.

I tried pulling the motherboard out of the laptop but it dosent look like you can unscrew the standoff, i did upload two photos up above one of which is of the backside.

Its my first time messing around with M2 screw standoffs on a laptop so i could of course be wrong.

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
You couldn't find appropriate size screwdriver and chopped off half of nand chip with a dremel?
I wouldn't be trusting my laptop with you.
That drive is dead btw.

Great idea to use power tools on a laptop. 😁

Well i tried to keep the post short and leave out unnecessary stuff.
But since you opened it up.. Im fixing it for a family memeber of mine who wanted to change their SSD out only to realise that whoever had repaired the laptop last time had screwed the threads on the head off.
My father then thought he could fix it. Only to give it back with no head at all.. Which of course does solve the no threads issue atleast.. But yea, the old SSD is properly not feeling too good at this point and i now have to get creative with how to secure the new SSD..

As it is now, you should be able to lift up the unsecured end and remove the m.2. That makes it easier to work on the hold down.
It is not clear if the m.2 is good or not.

A m.2 slides in to the working end at a 30 degree angle.
It is then bent down so that the hold down keeps tension and fix the m.2 in place.
There are no electrical connections in the hold down.

There are screw extractor kits like this that you could try:
https://www.harborfreight.com/screw...&adsetid=150898465887&product=63987&store=107

If you can't get that to work, consider drilling a small hole entirely through the center all the way through the motherboard.
A small wood screw may be able to secure a purchase on a partially drilled hole.

Pass a bolt through and secure with a nut and possibly a washer.

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
As it is now, you should be able to lift up the unsecured end and remove the m.2. That makes it easier to work on the hold down.
It is not clear if the m.2 is good or not.

A m.2 slides in to the working end at a 30 degree angle.
It is then bent down so that the hold down keeps tension and fix the m.2 in place.
There are no electrical connections in the hold down.

There are screw extractor kits like this that you could try:
https://www.harborfreight.com/screw...&adsetid=150898465887&product=63987&store=107

If you can't get that to work, consider drilling a small hole entirely through the center all the way through the motherboard.
A small wood screw may be able to secure a purchase on a partially drilled hole.

Pass a bolt through and secure with a nut and possibly a washer.

Thank you for the answer, do you think a screw extractor would work in this case considering there is no screw head left? The bottom part is only 1 mm in diameter so its quiet small..

Drilling through the screw itself i will leave as a last solution incase i cant find anything else to do.

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Of course, you will need to find a suitably small screw extractor head.
But, such extractors are designed explicitly for your application.
There are also some youtube videos.

Ifixit seems like they might have something that potentially could do the job but they are out of stock of course. Besides them i havent been able to find anything in the size i need (atleast not sold in europe), but i suppose i just will have to keep my eyes open, thank you for the sugestion though!

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014

R3tribut10n

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2014
if It was me I would remove the m.2 and attempt to get a socket around the retainer and pop it off, it may be stiff and resistant as I doubt it has moved since the day it was fitted.
Then either get a replacement as I’m sure they are easy to buy, or the last option is sticking the replacement down, but be aware the m.2 do get hot so something to think about👍

i have been looking around and did find some epoxy specifically for electric stuff so i might just give that a try
Be careful with epoxy.
When you later want to remove epoxy glued m.2 from your motherboard, it may take a piece of pcb with it.
You may get either broken M.2 or broken motherboard (or both).

Double sided foam tape has plenty strength to hold an M.2 drive.

Reactions: Dizzydream

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
if It was me I would remove the m.2 and attempt to get a socket around the retainer and pop it off, it may be stiff and resistant as I doubt it has moved since the day it was fitted.
Then either get a replacement as I’m sure they are easy to buy, or the last option is sticking the replacement down, but be aware the m.2 do get hot so something to think about👍
I could be wrong here but i dont think you can screw the retainer off on this laptop, im somewhat hesitant to try in case it actually cant be screwed off and i just end up ripping it off.

Anyway i think i did find a decent solution for the problem, i wrapped some thin steel wire around the retainer and used some super glue that is supposed to be able to handle heat up 120c and isnt electric conductive (just in case it would end up somewhere not intended).

I havent tried it out yet but it seems to be sturdy enough for the job and this way the person will also be able to change the ssd out in the future by lifting up the small hook i made out of the wire

Last edited:

Dizzydream

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Be careful with epoxy.
When you later want to remove epoxy glued m.2 from your motherboard, it may take a piece of pcb with it.
You may get either broken M.2 or broken motherboard (or both).

Double sided foam tape has plenty strength to hold an M.2 drive.
I have decided to try out wrapping some thin steel wire around the standoff making a ''hook'' so the person can switch out the ssd in the future.

I will super glue the wire to the standoff to make sure it dosent move anywhere, i have found a glue that can handle heat up to 120c so hopefully that will do the trick.

TRENDING THREADS