Question m.2 SSDs for cold backup

Aug 8, 2024
Hi there, new to the forum.

Most stuff I read about SSD reliability centers around people using m.2 or SATA SSDs for OS installs or actual backup pools (zfs, etc). What I'm looking for, at least currently, is an SSD drive to back up my backup of my ZFS pool to. So it's a backup of a backup of a zpool.

I've had too many WD Blues and Reds go bad on me with literally minimal use (turn my nas on once every 2 months to back up my laptop) to trust them, hence solid state.

There are many brands out there I've never heard of (gigastone,King*), lots of posts about whether they use DRAM or offload to storage, heat generation, etc.

The most paramount thing I care about is reliability.

The question is: what is a cost effective SSD in the 4tb range that would give me reliable cold storage without breaking the bank.

I'm paranoid about losing anything, so I'd prefer to buy two or more of the cheaper drives over one Samsung or WD, and just mirror my data to them manually periodically.

The other thing I'm pondering is m.2 or SATA SSD. My miroATX could easily take SATASSDs so I could gradually switch from spinny WD Reds to SATASSDs, whereas reusing the m.2's would require more work and probably physical space inside. Would using m.2 in a SATA enclosure be possible? Easy? Or easier to go the SATA SSD route? Response time and speed are less important to reliability to me.

TIA

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Would using m.2 in a SATA enclosure be possible?
No.

Just go with good quality, known brand 2.5" SSDs.

I say 'known brand' due to the probably MUCH better warranty action.
A few years ago one of my SanDisk SATA SSDs died suddenly.

It was 33 days past the 3 year warranty.
I knew it, SanDisk knew it....they gave me a new one anyway.
5 years later, the replacement is still going strong.

Those second/third rate drive people wouldn't do that.

Mar 10, 2020
There is an anantech article about data retention on ssd. The part used for the test was close to eol and the data retention was about a year. It gives an indication for a worst case scenario.

I’d look at SATA ssd parts, reputable name and warranty also double up on them, have 2 copies.

A few years ago, not many, the place at which I was working was still using Travan tapes multiple sets of 3, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, each stored in different buildings, all within fire safes.