[SOLVED] M.2 XPG SX8200 Pro not detected in diskmgmt but visible in bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

WutWat

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Hey guys, I just wanted to make sure if this disk is faulty. I bought it back in November 2020 and it was working flawlessly even this morning but when I got back on computer a while ago I noticed that most of my icons on desktop were white blanks, the drive was not showing up under this pc or disk management but it's still visible in bios. Also there's an unknown device in device manager... My mobo is aorus x570 elite... I tried to reinstall chipset drivers and to take the drive out and back in incase it got loose or something but that didn't help.... Any ideas on what to do? Should I RMA it or is it an issue with software...

raciel1921

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
It' happened with me one time and the cause for me (I cant be 100% sure) it was because of heat, at that time I didnt check for temperatures in the disk and it reached 60degrees for around 3 months, one day the disk was gone from the pc, exactly the same as you, basically windows detects it as a disk without any format but don't format it if you have valuable data you can still recover some of it.

There was no way to restore it as it was before but I managed - with recuva and another similar soft that i dont remember the name now but most of them are basically the same - to recover many files that were still in the disk.

My suggestion would be to recover what you can, format the disk and do many test to check if it is working fine, because rma wont do anything if the disk is working fine since it might not be actually broken or anything... for example western digital needs some specific errors in smart for you to be able to RMA it (spin up time, reallocated sectors and raw errors).
From what I understand is that the disk is like a book and it has an "index", sometimes that index breaks and so the files or "chapters" are not accessible anymore, they might be still there but without that index the disk doesn't know where is anything so is like it's gone. (sorry for the poor explanation)

WutWat

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
I installed a fresh windows on one of my hard drives (god it's so slow compared to an ssd). The nvme drive was detected so I was sure it's a software issue after all... On my main windows drive I tried to install driver for storage controllers -> standard nvm express controller but it was resulting in error 31.... Turns out the culprit was some "AMD-RAID bottom device" in storage controllers. When I deleted it the m2 drive was detected again.... Uhhh I have no idea where that thing came from but it must have been causing some conflict... Anyways I thought I'd leave this info here in case someone googles for a similar problem...

May 18, 2016
Had this exact issue myself - same Mobo, it was an issue caused in the latest Windows update.

Would have taken me a lot longer to find the solution without your help, appreciate it.

May 8, 2021
Thanks a lot dude because I have the same problem as yours and I was able to fixed it by uninstalling the AMD raid bottom device in device manager.

This help me just know,

I have X570 Aorus pro wifi and Corsair MP600 1TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS