Question M-Flash doesn’t recognize the new bios file

Oct 9, 2021
Hello! I have a question regarding the new update for the MSI bios. I bought a flash drive today, sadly I didn’t know the smaller the better so I bought a 64gb drive, I did format it to FAT32 and unzipped and extracted the files to the root folder of the drive, I even tried to rename it to “BIOS.ROM” but that did not work either. Any ideas as to what I might’ve done wrong?
my motherboard is MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS and downloaded this newest version right here
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-B550-GAMING-PLUS#down-bios
Is there anything I’m missing or anything I’m doing wrong?

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
  1. Don't keep anything else in drive. Just BIOS Extracted File.
  2. Connect Pendrive in the USB Socket which has white border.
  3. Try this steps from this video (video will start at Pendrive formatting part ): BIOS Flashing Video
Warning :
Anyone reading this please, do it on your own risk.
BIOS updating can brick your system.
Do your research.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021
  1. Don't keep anything else in drive. Just BIOS Extracted File.
  2. Connect Pendrive in the USB Socket which has white border.
  3. Try this steps from this video (video will start at Pendrive formatting part ): BIOS Flashing Video
I tried this now, I formatted the usb to an NTFS, and downloaded the bios onto the pendrive, no other file is in it. And put it in the flash bios USB socket with the white border and it doesn’t detect my file. Only a file that I haven’t put in called “system volume information” that has been there all the time

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
I tried this now, I formatted the usb to an NTFS, and downloaded the bios onto the pendrive, no other file is in it. And put it in the flash bios USB socket with the white border and it doesn’t detect my file. Only a file that I haven’t put in called “system volume information” that has been there all the time
  1. Try formatting pendrive in FAT32 & don't delete that system volume information,
Becareful with BIOS number 7C56v183 (Beta version) it can cause issues.

Warning :

Anyone reading this please, do it on your own risk.
BIOS updating can brick your system.
Do your research.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021
  1. Try formatting pendrive in FAT32 & don't delete that system volume information,
Becareful with BIOS number 7C56v183 (Beta version) it can cause issues.
I formatted it to FAT32 and I did not delete that file. I went into bios and flash mode, saw nothing changed and exited it, now I’m stuck at the bios screen and it doesn’t respond to my keyboard or my mouse and is completely frozen. Even if I restart my computer and pull out the power supply it still opens up in the frozen bios :\

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
I formatted it to FAT32 and I did not delete that file. I went into bios and flash mode, saw nothing changed and exited it, now I’m stuck at the bios screen and it doesn’t respond to my keyboard or my mouse and is completely frozen. Even if I restart my computer and pull out the power supply it still opens up in the frozen bios :\
You are saying it didn't updated, the BIOS & exited you sure it didn't showed you any message.

This means it did nothing to BIOS.
(Guy in the above video was able to)
What BIOS version was that?
Did it start to update BIOS ?
You sure you extracted everything to pendrive according to video, except that text file.
And you sure antivirus, didn't delete anything from it ?
FAT32 is only pendrive format, it won't cause issues with BIOS update.
Some people are using FAT32 some are using NTFS.
BIOS will only get flashed, if it's proper file is checked before flashing, else mobo won't flash it.
You better ask customer care to help you with BIOS update.
In the above video, that guy was able to flash , he had same mobo.
It's pretty weird, because BIOS can only read BIOS file.

Looks like your not the only one having issues updating BIOS,
Users here with B550 Chipset,
Is also struggling with BIOS update.

Now you just,
Remove pendrive, don't try BIOS updating.
Resetting BIOS will solve your issue.

Reset BIOS, by pressing dedicated button if given or by using those Clear CMOS pins or by just removing battery for 5 minutes. (Do this when system is completely powered off. Disconnected from wall socket)
OR
If this doesn't fix it,
Else you will need to send to Service Center they will fix it.

Try to boot it back to normal.

I will recommend that to you if you are not experienced with BIOS upgrade, don't do it if not required.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021
You are saying it didn't updated, the BIOS & exited you sure it didn't showed you any message.

This means it did nothing to BIOS.
(Guy in the above video was able to)
What BIOS version was that?
Did it start to update BIOS ?
You sure you extracted everything to pendrive according to video, except that text file.
And you sure antivirus, didn't delete anything from it ?
FAT32 is only pendrive format, it won't cause issues with BIOS update.
Some people are using FAT32 some are using NTFS.
BIOS will only get flashed, if it's proper file is checked before flashing, else mobo won't flash it.
You better ask customer care to help you with BIOS update.
In the above video, that guy was able to flash , he had same mobo.
It's pretty weird, because BIOS can only read BIOS file.

Looks like your not the only one having issues updating BIOS,
Users here with B550 Chipset,
Is also struggling with BIOS update.

Now you just,
Remove pendrive, don't try BIOS updating.
Resetting BIOS will solve your issue.

Reset BIOS, by pressing dedicated button if given or by using those Clear CMOS pins or by just removing battery for 5 minutes. (Do this when system is completely powered off. Disconnected from wall socket)
OR
If this doesn't fix it,
Else you will need to send to Service Center they will fix it.

Try to boot it back to normal.

I will recommend that to you if you are not experienced with BIOS upgrade, don't do it if not required.
I removed the battery for a while and put it back in and this solved the frozen bios issue, I think so will try with another some other pendrive because it seems like a lot of people have some issues with one pendrive and it works with another idk. Thank you for all the tips and information, I started freaking out a lil when it froze.

Reactions: ssbaraskar99

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
I removed the battery for a while and put it back in and this solved the frozen bios issue, I think so will try with another some other pen-drive because it seems like a lot of people have some issues with one pendrive and it works with another idk. Thank you for all the tips and information, I started freaking out a lil when it froze. ME TOO !!

Thank GOD it got solved !!,
I'm happy that you're system is fine now.
You do lot of research before dealing with BIOS, yourself.
Hold on!!

Why are you so interested in updating BIOS,
Updating BIOS can brick system,
if not necessary don't do it.
Don't held anyone liable for you're update attempts.
I came across many videos, updating AMD BIOS is not that easy- many ways suggested etc etc,

Better take to Service Centre ask them to do it for you.
AMD B550 Chipset has/had USB issues not 100% sure:

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL !

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021
Thank GOD it got solved !!,
I'm happy that you're system is fine now.
You do lot of research before dealing with BIOS, yourself.
Hold on!!

Why are you so interested in updating BIOS,
Updating BIOS can brick system,
if not necessary don't do it.
Don't held anyone liable for you're update attempts.
I came across many videos, updating AMD BIOS is not that easy- many ways suggested etc etc,

Better take to Service Centre ask them to do it for you.
AMD B550 Chipset has/had USB issues not 100% sure:

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL !
I think I’ll rather wait and then send it to the service center then, and I am not holding anyone reliable since this was my idea and I was asking for tips. But thank you, I think I’ll send it to a professional. There was a game that informed me that my graphics card version was outdated, and I read that I had to update bios to update my graphics card. I’m not sure

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
I think I’ll rather wait and then send it to the service center then, and I am not holding anyone reliable since this was my idea and I was asking for tips. But thank you, I think I’ll send it to a professional. There was a game that informed me that my graphics card version was outdated, and I read that I had to update bios to update my graphics card. I’m not sure
Does it work now???
Graphic Card version or you mean Driver version ?

Updating your gpu drivers has nothing to do with the BIOS. Download the latest driver package from your card manufacturer, download DDU, use it in safe mode and remove all existing gpu drivers, reboot, install the drivers you downloaded earlier and after the installation is finished just reboot once again.

Oct 9, 2021
Updating your gpu drivers has nothing to do with the BIOS. Download the latest driver package from your card manufacturer, download DDU, use it in safe mode and remove all existing gpu drivers, reboot, install the drivers you downloaded earlier and after the installation is finished just reboot once again.
That’s weird, I read up on it and someone said I had to update bios to update the driver, I’ll just do this then, thank you c: